Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Caps and Small Caps

There are specific fonts that include small caps. These are the fonts you want to be using.

Increasing the font size is not the answer. Small Caps fonts maintain the same character weight for the caps and small caps. Increasing the font size distorts the weight and is unprofessional. See this page http://www.fonts.com/content/learnin...omy/small-caps

The attached is from fonts.com and shows true small caps on the left and computer generated small caps on the right. In my opinion, small caps created by increasing the font size is right up there with using the ' character instead of a proper apostrophe.

@Gerry - I got credit for a post I never made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C.Small-caps.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	96068  

My bad for suggesting a web design solution in with a graphic one; I usually fine one begets the other.

Gary's "Increasing the font size is not the answer" position is powerful.

If, however, I had an essential font to keep in my design, I might create my heading and alter the font size of my follow-on capitals to a height just above that of that lowercase 'e'. I would then include a little Line Width for the follow-on capitals to balance the weight of the larger initial capital.

This keeps the element of design with Lew and not beholden to font.com or Google fonts.

Acorn

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

My suggestion was meant to give a workaround if a small caps font was unavailable.

@ Acorn: That's a good tip to add a little weight to balance things out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.