Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Does Web Designer 9 Premium allow for a search function or button?

I have not yet purchased nor tried Web Designer 9 and wondered if you can add a search function to a site without too much of a headache?

3rd party solutions with ads are not an option here.

I do see that some folks have recommended a free 3rd party solution in a product called ZOOM,
    ( http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/tour.html ) but wondered if WD9 had its own? The plugins for Zoom show the file types that I would need searched,...but they are awfully old and outdated. We are using Powerpoint and all of the MS office apps in 2010 versions,...not 2003. That concerns me.

Surprising that WD9 wouldn't have it's own built in offerings (if indeed that is the case).
    Last edited by TDolce; 09 May 2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: updated to show I had looked at previous similar discussions

Default Re: Does Web Designer 9 Premium allow for a search function or button?

There is a Google search widget in the Page Elements > Other Widgets, but that is a third party solution. There is also something called Search Lijit which is a widget and a third party solution.

This is as close as you can come to a native search function.

Xara's philosophy is if there are a variety of good choices available, then there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. This works find for most users

I use AtomZ for a search box via a placeholder object (a simple rectangle into which you add code that gets inserted into your document, and I am very pleased with the ease of setting it up, the price (free) and the end result.

Thanks Gary,....

I have heard of atomZ, but I'm fearful that if an ad pops up during a search, my job would be in jeopardy. I plan on building the site in XWD9 and placing it in a webpart in Sharepoint, so it could very well be that the built in Sharepoint Search Tool will work and be sufficient.

Here are the search results for jewelry on one of my sites. There are ads by Google. So if any ads are verboten then this may not work for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AtomZ.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	96043  

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    Thanks Gary,....

I have heard of atomZ, but I'm fearful that if an ad pops up during a search, my job would be in jeopardy. I plan on building the site in XWD9 and placing it in a webpart in Sharepoint, so it could very well be that the built in SharePoint Search Tool will work and be sufficient.
    I found that SharePoint's built-in search worked very well with embedded Xara sites; you don't need anything else. Atomz relies on being able to trawl your website.
    If your design is for an Intranet then exposing it to the Web would be a (very big) step too far!

Acorn