Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy XPDG MX 2013-Why doesn't my Live Effects button bring anything up?

As I'm trying to learn more of my new programs, I finally came across a tutorial that covered the Live Effects. However, after I've open and created an object (star)(that's another story), I go to the Live Effects button (per the tutorial) but nothing opens. Left click, right click, nothing brings anything up.

Also, in the tutorial it started by drawing the star object...click the icon draw a star, and I get a 6-sided filled object. No star to be found. The oval and rectangular objects draw fine. But no star obect.

I'm at the point where I don't know what should or shouldn't be somewhere or if something is or isn't working. I understand that the Live Effects can be pointed to an external folder where 3rd-party plugins should go, but I was also getting the feeling that something came with the program install (per the tutorial). I've gotten used to things not working in these Xara and Magix programs I purchased, so unlike my first couple of posts, the anger and frustration are being left out.

Has anyone experienced similar problems with their Xara PDG 2013?

David

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: XPDG MX 2013-Why doesn't my Live Effects button bring anything up?

Hello David Welcome to Talkgraphics

First lets tackle the star. Once you have selected the quickshape tool (the star on the quickshape flyout) look at the top of the workspace and on the info button you need to select the polygons button and the star shapes button. You will also see a drop down menu that will let choose how many points you want (3 becomes a triangle) Once these are set you should be able to click and drag to draw your star. Hold down the ctrl key while dragging to keep all sides even.

Once you have a star you need to have it selected and then you should be able to select the live effects tool and click new to get a dropdown list of all your installed plugins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Angelize--You are my new best friend. Thank you for the clear and simple directions. It all happened just as you said.

One question, to clarify for me, after I select the Live Effects button, I click on the <New> (above the pointer at the top)? So nothing automatically opens once I select the button. I go up to make my selection. The same is sort of true with the star...once I select the star I have to go to the top and select the star for the options.

Thank you so very much. I'm coming from an Adobe world (for about 10 years), so the learning curve has me frustrated at times.

Again, Thank you so much.

David

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

You are quite welcome David, I'm always glad to help. You might find a lot of these videos and tutorials helpful http://www.xara.com/us/resources/ and I have some video tutorials on my youtube channel that may be helpful (see link in my signature)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.