Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: XaReg 2 Released

I don't think an alternative is a bad is a bad thing if Grace and the like still want to carry on. Anyway thanks Steve and John for this good work and much appreciated. The only coding I could ever manage and learn was BBC and machine code with a bit of assembly language and it is now long forgotten.
    Design is thinking made visual.

First of all, thank you Steve and John for XaReg 2. The interface looks more accessible than the old one and some new options have been added. I suspect that most changes are to be found under the hood, as Bill intended to completely rewrite the program.

Some options seem to miss, though, such as "Retain Bitmap Fill Attributes" but perhaps I didn't look well. What I would like to see back are the tool tips for all options but, please, more descriptive than in the old version because some options are not clear to me. For instance, what does "Native Fast PNG" mean and what are the advantages and drawbacks of using this option?

I imagined that Steve and John prepared XaReg 2 in secret to surprise the community and this is much appreciated. However, when Grace and others started to work on their version it might have been better to come forward. Thus the surprise release of XaReg 2 gave me a bit of bad taste in my mouth and I understand any upset reactions by those who have started to work on it.

As I was finishing up this post, I noticed that Steve had already posted his explanation for why they didn’t announce the release any earlier. Understandable and, yet, somewhat awkward. Indeed, it’s now up to Grace and others to decide to go forward with an open source version or not.

I've read Steve's explanation - I'm inclined to think that ego and a desire to be 'first' played a part.. I expect that will be denied, but it fits in with the track record.. always done with the best possible amount of helpfulness, of course

there is a lot missing from XaReg2... so I think Team Xara should crack on with it and get an open source version out

edit.. and if I can help, I will
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    ... we present to the Takgraphics community XaReg 2...
    Congratulations and well played Steve. I understand your dilemma. You and John are to be commended for keeping XaReg alive. It is a useful utility as witnessed by the many requests for an update.

I like the new interface with drop downs for the version and the undo feature for settings.

1. I'd like to see the registry key being modified displayed, either in a tooltip or in the status bar perhaps.
    2. As others have requested, more detail on what the setting actually does may be appropriate in some cases.

Curiosity Questions:

1. Is this the same original VB codebase or a total rewrite in C# or some other language?
    2. Is John Horn actively involved in development or are you the sole developer going forward?

To the moderators: A dedicated subforum for XaReg would be appropriate, IMO. Its much more convenient to have all discussion focused rather than having to wade through unrelated topics. It could be included under a forum called "Xara Registry Tweaks" that could include both XaReg and XaRT if development is continued.

Regards,

Steven...

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

1. Interesting thought but I don't think this is useful for most people. I can suggest RegFromApp (freeware) which will display the registry key being edited as you use XaReg2.
    2. Yes, I agree.

We don't really want a sub forum just for XaReg2.. This thread should be enough for on-topic comments and feedback

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Why was this developed in secret while there was a public and well-intentioned effort being set up by the community at large to replace XaReg?

Seems a bit unfriendly.

Phil
    Oh I thought this was the group effort, this is confusing.

Marc

Can I ask why the name 'XtremePro' is being used, instead of Designer Pro?

We already have issues with Designer Pro X being version 8.
    And not 10 as some have thought.

So, post Xtreme users will find this confusing, I think.

Also, can I ask what the 'Guides Color' changes?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I don't know whether this is the right place to ask: have you considered adding (to XaReg) a possibility to create a list of predefined line widths and zoom levels (that will be presented in respective comboboxes)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Can I ask why the name 'XtremePro' is being used, instead of Designer Pro?
    Take a look at this post by GerryI where he talks about changing a registry key: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...157#post475157

As you can see, Xara uses the "XtremePro" name for one of the registry folders. It has been commented on since version 6. It is confusing and I hope that this time around the devs will mend it (?).

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Also, can I ask what the 'Guides Color' changes?
    The colour of the lines on the Guide Layer, for instance when you drag down or across from the rulers
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64