Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Support for Roland Printers

Does Designer Pro provide support for printers manufactured by the German manufacturer Roland?

Or is printing from DP purely an OS function?

In other words, when printing is DP communicating with the OS, which in turn is communicating with the printer via the printer Driver? Or does DP need to provide some form or intermediate support for the selected printer?

Thanks.

T.

Default Re: Support for Roland Printers

Try doing a Google search on:
    talkgraphics roland printer
    talkgraphics vinyl cutters
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Roland is Japanese and a free RIP comes with the printers. You can easily send graphics for printing and/or cutting from Xara to the RIP.
    James Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by SignPig View Post
    Roland is Japanese.....
    Oops... apologies to Japan, I had been viewing the Roland site in Germany...... hence the geographical error.

Quote Originally Posted by SignPig View Post
    ....... a free RIP comes with the printers. You can easily send graphics for printing and/or cutting from Xara to the RIP.
    Yes, I had noted the free RIP from the spec. In practice does this give a good result? For the work that I will be doing I need the result to be outstandingly excellent. Cost is almost irrevelant, the client wants perfection and is prepared to pay for it.

T.

Can make no comment on the suitability of the Roland printer all that I can say is that no one can run a print shop without using RIP software. Because you can use your own ICC colour profiles and can print multiple printers at the same time you save paper, time and improve the workflow of the shop. I haven't seen any shops in the last 10 years using the branded printer drivers like HP ect. they have all used RIP. You say you want quality and that comes from the printer and not the RIP software however some do better job than others but that is due to an improved workflow and not the quality. Hope Mike reads this thread as his biz. runs on a large format ink jet and he might be in a better position to make a comment.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Tabvia, I've used several RIPs to drive my large format printers (including a few Rolands) over the last 17 years and although the Roland Versaworks RIP lacks one or two features found in other RIPs, it does have some great features that the others don't. Most dcent RIPs will run a Roland printer, anyway. Onthe quality side, the Rolands are capable of producing top quality photographic prints, especially onto media such as sign vinyls and banners.
    James Kelly

Firstly, apologies for not responding sooner. I am subscribed to this Thread using email notification, but for some unknown reason I am not getting notified...... and the notifications are not in the Spam folder either. Was working fine untill 3 days ago ???

I will go through your feedback and reply shortly.

T.