Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keyboard shortcut to change line width

Hi, could you please advise is there maybe keyboard shortut to change the width of a Line?

For example similiarly as at texts the Ctrl + Shift + < and Ctrl + Shift + > do that, changing the text size down or up

Default Re: Keyboard shortcut to change line width

when you do that you are actually increasing the font size of the text - in other words you are increasing the object size whilst at the same time scaling the width of the letter line[s]

you can do that with a line if you drag the boundary box out [with fixed aspect and scale line width enabled]

but I am thinking you want to increase the line width without increasing the size of the object in this way [edit]

I don't know of any key shortcuts for this
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks the answer, basically I had to do a lot of individual lines with different Stroke shapes and sizes, so that is why was the question to make it maybe faster than with the mouse. But no problem if there is no any key shortcuts

I don't know of one either csehz.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks checked also the Customise key shortcuts maybe to find, but no problem so will the mouse stay

Not a perfect solution, but something which might make it a bit quicker (or less mouse clicking) than changing widths / stroke shapes using the line gallery menu etc, might be to create a 'palette' of your lines with different widths, and stroke shapes you will use and put them to one side of your drawing. In the page options menu you have the option to 'give new objects most recent attributes', so set that to on; if you haven't already.

Then when you draw a new line you can use keyboard shortcuts to change the lines you are drawing to one of your 'palette' line styles by selecting the desired 'palette' line then hit ctrl+c to copy it and then ctrl+shift+a to paste attributes. The next line you draw will be the new width/stroke shape and so on. So that's one mouse click to select your 'palette' line and two shortcuts which can be done pretty quickly, one after the other, if you keep ctrl depressed. Depending on whether you have just a smallish number of line styles, this may be a bit easier to do.

This works better if you are using the freehand tool to draw lines rather than the shape editor tool as you can select lines with the former more easily (ie just a left click). To directly select a line using the shape editor tool you need to right click on the line (if your right mouse button is set to pop-up menu that is), this brings up the shape editor tool pop-up menu which you need to hit enter key or click again to remove. Or alternatively right click on line with the shape editor tool with dash key (-), num pad minus or enter key depressed beforehand; which should remove the pop-up menu automatically as soon as you right click on the line.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Sue thanks the advice, this line pallete idea is quite inspirating.

In my actual case even that could be the way maybe that after having the palette ready, always just right clicking and dragging the actual needed line from the palette and by that doing the copy. I will try at home sure

Or even easier, if you want to create 10 lines with widths of 1pt, 2pt...10pt, then draw the 1pt line and the 10pt line and do an 8 step blend between them...

Gerry

That is great idea like that, I was afraid at the try what happens when will need to convert the blend to editable shapes to be able ungroup, but the lines stayed line so no problem. Thanks for the advice Gerry

Hi,

I've created some Keyboard shortcuts for line widths I use most with autohotkey.

For example .3pt, .7pt, 1pt, 1.5pt, 2pt, etc..

It's somewhat quirky because it simulate button pressing but it works.
    I have integrated very quickly into my workflow.

If ever you're interested I could share the script.

I have also thought of a script that would + or - .5pt per keystroke but I'm afraid I'm not that good!

Marc