Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing SSD Drive

Hi,
    I am running Windows 7 64Bit system with a 1.5 TB hard drive, besides windows system I only have 6 to 12 programs that I use a lot. But one of the programs requires 100GB free space on c: drive for processing (video editor).
    My question is is there a way to transfer my present c: drive content to a new SSD drive, without having to re-register them as and keeping the registry settings?
    I have searched the internet and get varying answers some positive some negative so I am confused.
    Jim
    P.s. The SSD drive is samsung 540GB drive
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Default Re: Installing SSD Drive

Why is the new HDD you're replacing your old one with only a third of the size? Would it not make more sense to leave the 1.5TB HDD installed?

Hi,
    The SSD drive is faster for Video editing that is the only reason speed...
    Jim
    I have two external 1.5TB drives for file storage and system backups in case of failures
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Ah got you
    In my experience a fresh re-install of the OS is always best in this case (over 10 years working in Systems Administration).
    Before I get a barrage of replies saying you don't need to re-install the OS, you can clone HDD's and find some tools out there which will do that, but can run into some quirky findings in doing that, so do it that way if you want and if it doesn't work or you have some trouble with things not working properly then it's almost certainly quicker at that point to re-install the OS instead of trying to figure it out.
    Personally I'd re-install the OS to begin with...

Of course whatever you do, backup first

Hi ,
    Ok thanks I kinda figured that your suggestion would be the safest and probably the quickest in the long run. When I transferred files once before ( I done a transfer before and it took me a month to straighten things out). Just that now some of my programs are updates etc etc and god know where the keys are LOL)
    Thanks for input
    Jim

I have to agree with pete when it comes to the fresh install, I have had problems with hdd clone and a fresh install always solved the problem. One of our designers has an ssd (250gb) for the software and a 1tb for documents etc and it is lightning fast.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Yes, it's the way things are going - SSD for the system and mechanical for the data.

I have a hybrid drive (mini SSD cache for conventional drive - http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/interna...-hybrid-drive/), but the future is definitely SSD+conventional.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Hi,
    The SSD drive is faster for Video editing that is the only reason speed...
    Jim
    I have two external 1.5TB drives for file storage and system backups in case of failures
    Have you considered using Firewire for an external drive as you should get fast async data transfers.
    Not dabbled for a time but I would believe Firewire still outperforms USB3.

Acorn

Hi Acorn,
    I need the FAST drive as C drive...I have external HDD that are USB 3 but the program for Video editing need the C drive to have the speed for processing files. Thanks for the thought tho'
    Jim

Not dabbled for a time but I would believe Firewire still outperforms USB3.
    Yes, firewire outperforms usb 3 by a hefty amount, it can reach reliable speeds of 800mb/s whereas usb 3 is around 150mb/s. But due to apple not really supporting it (they came up with it) it has dying a death as apple is pushing thunderbolt right now.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk