Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Mobile Phone Website Redirect

Hi Folks,

Sorry admins I think I should really post this on an existing thread but time is of the essence - so if you need to move it I understand

I am in the process of creating a new website for the current business I work for so I published it to a 'test' URL

http://www.yourchecksite.info/

Loads of work to do so I am not too worried about the format so far.

I tried to use Skeech's re-direct and a version of one the mobile phone templates I found on this forum but it goes absolutely bonkers when I use a mobile phone or colleagues iPhone to test if the re-direct works. My Windows phone just won't load it and a colleagues iPhone had a flashing url and did nothing...

The mobile section is here: http://www.yourchecksite.info/mobile.htm and it is in the same root file.

Should I have created a completely separate website for the mobile version? Is the template too large to handle mobile networks or is it, as I suspect, something I have done with my aptitude for blundering and misunderstanding?

I am sure I have done something completely dumb and although I'm no expert I do have a small grasp of the problems I get presented with from time to time but if someone could just let me know or point me in the direction I have gone wrong I would be most grateful.

Cheers
    David

PS: I haven't posted on here for ages but I do lurk and read a lot of the information so thanks everyone!

Default Re: Mobile Phone Website Redirect

No problems on my Nexus 7 tablet in Firefox and Chrome.

But the site loads very small until I expand it.

And instead of making the mobile address mobile.htm, I would publish the mobile site to a new folder called mobile, and publish the mobile home page as index.htm. This way you shorten your url to /mobile

Here's a link to a Google search of TalkGraphics for auto detect https://www.google.com/search?q=auto...ient=firefox-a

And here's a link for auto redirect https://www.google.com/search?q=auto...ient=firefox-a

There might be some alternative script suggestions here.

Hi Gary,

That's weird 'cause it just doesn't work on my Windows 7 phone and the iPhone here at work.

The code I used is from one of the links originally on this forum and the parameter is <699 so and I added the viewport metatag so I don't know if this would have any adverse effect.

I will move the mobile site as you suggest.

David

I just tried the link both with and without the mobile.htm on my Nokia 710 Widows phone and it did not work.

Are you trying to test the redirect?

I wonder if rather than a script if you just add a large button that links to the mobile site? Or a QR Code?

If you go this route then you should simplify your home page so it loads in a reasonable time on a mobile.

Ah that's it we're misunderstanding each other.

Yes I was testing the redirect.

The format of the mobile website pages etc I will change later as it is very much early days.

I wanted to make sure I had a top line re-direct. Several other posters have said Skeech's redirect works fine...it must be the magic dust I have on my fingers that makes stuff go wrong! You should see what I've done to motorbikes over the years!

Trouble is we represent some large mobile companies and it really needs an auto-direct to look like were at the 'cutting edge'.

Hi Gary,

I think half the problem is the javascript.

After looking around t'internet I found some more solutions - I think adding code to the .htaccess file in my control panel might work.

Anyway I'll try that. Thanks for your advice and help.

Cheers
    David

Hi David, it looks like you added the redirect script to the mobile page aswell, this is causing a continious loop in the redirect. You might want to change that redirect for larger screen sizes to redirect to the full site also it looks like you have removed the viewport meta from the mobile template this is why the page looks small when loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
    Hi David, it looks like you added the redirect script to the mobile page aswell, this is causing a continious loop in the redirect. You might want to change that redirect for larger screen sizes to redirect to the full site also it looks like you have removed the viewport meta from the mobile template this is why the page looks small when loaded.
    Hullo James,

Thanks very much for that. I'm going to be putting some work in on it this afternoon so I'll see what I can do. I knew I'd made a stupid mistake, I normally do.

Don't suppose you know anything about CushyCMS because I feel my head might explode soon?!!

Thanks for your help.

David