Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb The elements and approach to Good Design Work

I'd gotten into a brief and incomplete discussion on the Xara Xone area about the elements of balance and contrast, only two of many, many elements that can play a big part in an interesting, graphically successful piece of artwork, be it illustration, modeling, photography, and so on.

Fast Company's Design Department has a wonderful article this week, titled "Design Principles Inspired by Zen Wisdom". Written by Matthew May, author of In Pursuit of Elegance, I think it's inspired reading and deserves a reflection upon by all members who are on this eternal quest for immortal artwork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buddha-and-art-easel.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	95645

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 16 April 2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: bum link

Default Re: The elements and approach to Good Design Work

A very interesting article Gary, now I wish I could achieve shadows like those in the Buddha image, beautiful image and the shadows make it for me.

Stygg

Default Re: The elements and approach to Good Design Work

In Post #7 here, I discuss how to create a shadow based on diffuse area lighting, using Blends steps and the Gaussian Blur Live Effect, stygg.

But in the interest of full disclosure, the Buddha image above isn't a Xara drawing, it's a rendered model, so I had very little to do with the shadow besides declaring it in my modeling program.

My Best,

Gary