Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Links not working

A client called me yesterday. He was meeting a client and wanted to show samples that were on his website. When he called up his website on his clients computer, the links would not work.

I had seen this before and knew to tell him to press F5, however, I need to fix this so that it doesn't happen anymore.

How do we resolve this issue?

Thank you,
    Lynda

Default Re: Links not working

All F5 does is re-request the page from the server; if there are elements that are locally cached, they are not downloaded again. If the client's machine had never been to that web page before then such an action would do nothing.
    If, however, the client had viewed the page earlier and then the design had been republished, it is possible that the images with links were not active as the image filenames had changed.

There are lots of automatic ways to force a refresh of a computer's cache but they are not recommended as they conflict with usability aspects of your site. Mostly, people use Ctrl-F5 to clear a local cache.

Can you reconstruct the timeline of activity by you, your client and his in any detail?

Acorn

Actually, I misspoke. I told him to press Ctrl-F5.

I have not worked on this website in a few months.

I have a backup computer that I just tested the website on using IE 9. The links are not working on that computer. The links always work on my laptop which has IE 10.

I don't believe my clients client (who's computer it was) had ever been to the website before.

I hope this gives enough information to help resolve the issue, but I need to know what I need to do so that the links always work no matter what computer the website is viewed from. Otherwise I will need to rebuild the website at no cost to my client using a product other than Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    All F5 does is re-request the page from the server; if there are elements that are locally cached, they are not downloaded again. If the client's machine had never been to that web page before then such an action would do nothing.
    If, however, the client had viewed the page earlier and then the design had been republished, it is possible that the images with links were not active as the image filenames had changed.

There are lots of automatic ways to force a refresh of a computer's cache but they are not recommended as they conflict with usability aspects of your site. Mostly, people use Ctrl-F5 to clear a local cache.

Can you reconstruct the timeline of activity by you, your client and his in any detail?

Acorn

Could you supply the URL for us to check, or even better would be your *.web file, Lynda? Guessing only get's us so far..

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Could you supply the URL for us to check, or even better would be your *.web file, Lynda? Guessing only get's us so far..
    The url is http://www.limantel.com I just uploaded the web file http://www.limantel.com/limantel.web

I so appreciate you taking a look!! Thank you

The site works fine and all links load their pages in all browsers for me. All popups appear to work too. IE9 is rather sluggish though.
    I don't like auto playing video advertising on websites personally, my reaction is to leave immediately.

The site works fine and all links load their pages in all browsers for me. All popups appear to work too. IE9 is rather sluggish though.
    I don't like auto playing video advertising on websites personally, my reaction is to leave immediately.
    I agree about the auto playing video, but the customer is always right and that's what he wanted.

However, what do I do about the links not working in some browsers? Actually it's not a some browsers issue because you saw it working on IE9. It doesn't work on my backup computer which has IE9. Any suggestions on what I tell my client?

the customer is always right and that's what he wanted.
    They only think they are right.
    It's your job as the site designer to inform them of the pitfalls and common misconceptions (one of which is they can edit the site themselves to add new content at will)

Any suggestions on what I tell my client?
    [1] Tell your client that auto-playing advertising videos are turning people away
    [2] The fact that I have never been to your URL before and that all links worked in all browsers means that the site is functioning fine.
    If they don't work from another computer, then there is a local issue. So you need to look at the local PC and find out what it's problem is there (addons, malware, missing updates, hardware failures.... etc)
    You could also tell him to update to use a proper web browser

LOL Love it. Going to follow your advice to the tee..

Thanks Sledger!

Have a great day and thanks again for all your help.
    Lynda

They only think they are right.
    It's your job as the site designer to inform them of the pitfalls and common misconceptions (one of which is they can edit the site themselves to add new content at will)

[1] Tell your client that auto-playing advertising videos are turning people away
    [2] The fact that I have never been to your URL before and that all links worked in all browsers means that the site is functioning fine.
    If they don't work from another computer, then there is a local issue. So you need to look at the local PC and find out what it's problem is there (addons, malware, missing updates, hardware failures.... etc)
    You could also tell him to update to use a proper web browser

I totally agree with sledger. If I follow a link to a site and am assaulted by some shouting head, or even loud music, I'm gone.