Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Confused with titles, versions and upgrades

People, I am confused by the changing titles and versions of Xara products.

Currently I have various versions up to and including X Designer Pro 6. I left 7 alone for various reasons but am wavering about Designer Pro X.

In the mail I got an offer of an upgrade to Designer Pro X for $97US. (30% reduction). This sounds OK until I remember that the yearly cycle comes around about June and so the next (2013) Designer Pro version will be out in about two months.

What are peoples thoughts on me upgrading at this stage as against waiting for the next cycle?

Like others have said with respect to the Web Designer series I certainly don't want to waste money with a double upgrade if the end result is going to be more expensive than waiting.

Thanks for responses.

Erik

Default Re: Confused with titles, versions and upgrades

I have been using Designer Pro X since it was released and I use it for graphic design, websites, and a lot of photo editing. It has the best of all the features.

Web Designer 9 has just been released and it has some very cool new features which I am confident will find their way into Designer Pro 9 along with whatever new features Xara decides to add to the graphics side of the product. I have a First Look review of Web Designer on the Xara Xone. http://xaraxone.magix.net/XWD9/index.htm

If you don't mind paying full retail, then you should wait and see what Designer Pro 9 has to offer.

On the other hand, if you want a real work horse of a product at a great price, then go for the special offer on Designer Pro X.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

If you decide to go for DPX now you will likely get a better upgrade price when version 9 comes out. One would imagine that upgrading from version 8 to version 9 would be less than upgrading from version 6 to version 9
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Not nescessarily, Angelise... www.xara.com/products/designer/upgrade
    All older versions of Designer Pro have the same upgrade pricing when upgrading to DPX. You'll have to wait until the new version of DP is released to see what upgrade pricing is offered for it.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    One would imagine that upgrading from version 8 to version 9 would be less than upgrading from version 6 to version 9
    Yes thanks I absolutely thought like that And seeing Pete's link so possible to upgrade from older versions? I imagined that if one upgrade step missed, then already lost the opportunity. There were times when I was not aware that the Xara Designer Pro is needed for me, bought several downer versions so Photo Designer, Web desginer separately, but so those are still chances then to use once :-)

Thanks everyone who answered. I'm going to wait and see what happens with the next cycle. I don't really want to instal twice in as many months and I doubt that any saving by upgrading now will count for much when the next upgrade cost is taken into account at the end of the day.
    Erik.