Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it possible to open a Photoshop .ESP file in Xara ? [URGENT!]

Hi

Is it possible to open a Photoshop .ESP file in Xara Designer PRO X (v8.1.3)?

If so, how?
    If not, why not?

e.g. When I open an .EPS using file Open (Filetype=All files), Xara goest through the motions of opening it but when you look there is nothing inside the file!
    e.g. If I try to IMPORT the .EPS file (which fwiw, is a very small simple file...) it fails too...

Is there some sort of plugin available to do this?

Help!

J

Default Re: Is it possible to open a Photoshop .ESP file in Xara ? [URGENT!]

you can try making a copy and renaming that as a type .PDF instead of a type .EPS

you could post it up here and someone may be able to open it in photoshop/illustrator or another program and convert it to a format you can use

[the answer to you to question BTW is - yes, some, but not all ]

EDIT - if you are expecting to get a vector from Photoshop into Xara I am fairly certain that won't work, it will be rasterised
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

EDIT - if you are expecting to get a vector from Photoshop into Xara I am fairly certain that won't work, it will be rasterised
    DAMN! Yes I need a vector that's the whole point.

But I dont get it. After all this time... why have Xara not built a tool to convert such a normal/industry standard format into Xara? I mean Photoshop EPS *is* a vector format, yes? And Photoshop is in pretty widespread use, yes?

EDIT - Is the problem religion, prejudice or politics... or Xara's technical inadequacy? Either way, one thing's for sure - it's not in the interests of Xara users!

J

Sheesh, you're grumpier than I am.

PDF is even more common than Photoshop EPS (Encapsulated Post Script), which is a format made for "placing" images into publishing applications such as InDesign and QuarkXPress and not really intended for editing.

Xara has very good support for PDF, which has become an industry standard, and last time I checked, Designer Pro X did pretty well opening Illustrator .ai and .eps files.

Illustrator will open the PSD with the vector intact and from there I can get it into Xara if you want/need to. Let me know and we can arrange how to exchange the files.

Yes and no to the EPS issue. The vector becomes a bitmap in PS EPS just like in a PS PDF. Now, I have an old version of PS, but it even rasterizes its own EPS even if saved with vector data. However, like I mentioned, a PSD with vector paths will open in Illustrator with the vector intact.

Mike

Is the problem religion, prejudice or politics... or Xara's technical inadequacy? Either way, one thing's for sure - it's not in the interests of Xara users
    no, the problem is that Photoshop is not a vector application and no-one, not even Adobe pretends that it is - it has internal vector capability in respect of text and paths, but that vector information can only be read by another adobe app because it is proprietary, and therefore not open to other manufacturers to interface with
    Last edited by handrawn; 11 April 2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: fix quote
    Nothing lasts forever...

While EPS is a standard graphics format, it comes in more than one flavor. It's like TIF, where there are dozens of possible configurations of the file. I've got some programs that can read some versions of EPS, but not all versions. If EPS had only a single configuration it could convert well, since that format does not, it's impossible to read all versions of EPS in any application, let alone Xara.

and that as well
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    no, the problem is that Photoshop is not a vector application and no-one, not even Adobe pretends that it is - it has internal vector capability in respect of text and paths, but that vector information can only be read by another adobe app because it is proprietary, and therefore not open to other manufacturers to interface with
    Not quite true.

Screen shot is of a PS file with a vector shape. Exported as a PhotoShop EPS file and opened in DrawPlus. The vector lost its color fill, but the path is still there.

Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000218.png 
Views:	169 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	95575

fair enough Mike - but it's only the path - path without the shape info there is not what most people would want, but I take your point....
    Nothing lasts forever...