Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default slicing shapes leaves transparent lines

I've got an annoying problem with the combine shapes > slice (cut) shapes. (Designer Pro X).

I often use this tool to cut a graphic to make a repeating object, so I don't want it to have any boarder, just solid colour. But for some reason when I cut the shape xara puts a little (approx 1 pixel) transparent line where the shape has been cut. This is often added to exported to the edges of pngs and svgs and looks a bit like anti-aliasing of some sort but I don't want this, just a solid object.

Does anyone know how to avoid this? See my attachment for an example png that I created by simply slicing one rectangle from another, I want to be able to do this without the extra line appearing - ie just solid black.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Name:  forumbox.png
Views: 222
Size:  2.3 KB

Default Re: slicing shapes leaves transparent lines

Use pixel units and enable snapping.
    Always use whole pixel sizes and page positions.

See attached. It has already been sliced and exports cleanly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-11_205038.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	95547  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up Re: slicing shapes leaves transparent lines

Many thanks for that sledger, your example has worked much better than mine although it still shows the problem on mine if I just export the left half of the image as a png (true colour with or without alpha).

I've attached my export, you will see if you zoom in that the right hand edge has a transparent line also the bottom edge. These lines are a real headache for me as I want to make shapes that I can repeat in the users browser so the edges need to be solid to create the illusion of a bigger shape.

Name:  sliced.png
Views: 194
Size:  410 Bytes

Hi Adam, as well as ensuring whole pixel sizes and positioning there is one further issue that you need to bear in mind and that's the state of the "Scale Line Widths" state. Depending on it's state it can indicate that the line is on whole pixel positions but beware, this may not be the case..... Try toggling the "Scale Line Widths" icon on and off and note how the lines position changes.

After slicing, each side of the sliced object should be whole pixel widths. If not, undo, toggle the "Scale Line Widths" button, reset the line to whole pixel positioning and this should give you a clean slice.

SEE THE VIDEO
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by adam858 View Post
    I've attached my export, you will see if you zoom in that the right hand edge has a transparent line also the bottom edge.
    Actually I do not.
    If I download your attached image and zoom in, it appears perfectly crisp and clean.
    It also tiles seamlessly (see attached file where I have used your exported PNG).
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can hardly see the lines on either Steve. Age!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

There were no lines in my sample in post#2 Egg. Not sure which lines Adam is referring to.

I didn't see your attached web file Steve, so I missed that. It's very odd, I can't see a line in your file either, at least not in XDPX, but I notice that your sliced image contains 2 rectangles with decimal places so exporting one would create aliasing on the edges.

If I open your file in Xara Web Designer 5 the line is very clear. Why it's not the same in XDPX or WD9P I've know idea. Go figure!
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I notice that your sliced image contains 2 rectangles with decimal places so exporting one would create aliasing on the edges.
    Have you tried? I did before I posted the file in post#2
    They export cleanly as True Colour PNG. If you bring them back into Xara Designer and use them to tile the page or background, there are no lines.. Seamless

That is what I am trying to achieve - to stop the aliasing on the edges. Is there a way to turn this off or avoid it so I can make clean, tiled images?