Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Are people losing interest in Xara products?

Am I correct in sensing an increasing lack of interest in Xara products? Less posts, fewer new threads, like that? Not just on TG, but on Xara-Users also?

If so, why? Assuming that there is a constant market for graphics software, where are the artists going? Are there viable commercial art apps for tablets that I'm just unaware of? Or has the extremely expensive trio of Illustrator, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver made our Xara products obsolete? Somehow I can't imagine that.

Or -- do you think younger people might be moving more into video production and wireframe animation, and moving away from print and web development artwork?

Any opinions?
    Last edited by jon404; 11 April 2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

Default Re: Are people losing interest in Xara products?

Well I've just joined the forum and I'm a big fan of Xara, I fond designer pro x a fantastic product!

Adam -- yes, it IS fantastic. You can get so much done with it, so fast. I've used it for years -- at work before I retired, and now for personal art and photo editing. Started this thread, though, because I think interest is falling off, and I'm curious why... since software like Designer Pro is faster, better... and a LOT less expensive than the usual suspects!
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

Very good observation Jon, I have noticed this as well, particularly in the web gallery. I think it would be wrong to assume that xara products are used by professionals, and that is not because the products are not upto it, it is simply that in colleges/universities it is adobe products which dominate and this flows into graphic design businesses, all our designers use adobe products.

I have only used webdesigner from xara so I can't really comment on the suitability of the other programs for professional work, but I have been lucky to come across webdesigner a couple of years ago and business has been good (120+ websites so far) but even now we do more work with wordpress as more and more clients demand features such as cms, which as we all now is not something which is viable with xara.

Also I feel that with the recent release of webdesigner (9) there is nothing earth shattering, very akin to apple's myriad releases of the iphone; polish it a little and improve what it already does. If new users are to attracted to the product their needs to be a much more current offering from xara. Just look at the offering for some of the other software companies such as wysiwyg web builder which now has cms built in.

I remember when I first joined this forum there seemed to be far more new threads and I too have noticed a lull, hopefully it is just a short-term problem.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

i am a fairly new xara user.. have it for about just over a month now! but i can say what bugs me.. is buying the program! an then having to buy additional widget packages.... i mean really.. thats money grabbing. i use adobe photoshop for my art work.. an then web designer for my web site creation.. but it just bugs me that you need to pay for stuff like widgets.. its like buying a car an then being told you need to pay extra to get the tires..

There are a range of widgets already provided within Web Designer Premium in the Designs Gallery under Page Elements > Photos > Photo Slideshow (widgets).

"Lack of interest" crtainly not I. But I also have noticed a decline in user participation in these forums. I don't know if it's a lack of interest in Xara products though. I think it may be more like people just don't want to spend their time here for whatever reason. I for one would like to see this place return to the vibrant community it used to be. We have a huge number of members world wide but only a handful take the interest or time to participate.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Southafrican View Post
    what bugs me.. is buying the program! an then having to buy additional widget packages.
    You don't have to. It's not necessary, it's your choice.

i use adobe photoshop for my art work.. an then web designer for my web site creation
    And the retail cost of photoshop vs XWD is... ?

its like buying a car an then being told you need to pay extra to get the tires..
    No, it's like buying a car then expecting the manufacturer to pay out for a custom paint job, dangling dice and blue leds.

Xara is everything you need. If you want to take shortcuts you can pony up more cash.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    "Lack of interest" crtainly not I. But I also have noticed a decline in user participation in these forums. I don't know if it's a lack of interest in Xara products though. I think it may be more like people just don't want to spend their time here for whatever reason. I for one would like to see this place return to the vibrant community it used to be. We have a huge number of members world wide but only a handful take the interest or time to participate.
    For myself, the decline in participation are factors out of my control (more or less). Just finished a catalog publishing gig, some contract work, trying to make up time/work/money from the period I took care of my mom, and it is simply getting nice outside. So the garden work and other outdoor activities intrude on my time. I would think the warming weather plays into other people's time, too.

Mike

the warming weather

A ton of people on TG are wondering what on earth you are talking about!

I think half the USA has snow and the other half has sun. We've had loads of snow and cold weather in the UK and Europe.