Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default WD9 Premium - Charting Question

Hi,

I have a client who had me build in the past an ASP.NET platform for his extranet. All he wants at the end of the day is to have a few people, himself including, view some chart data. Rather than create this monster of an ASP.NET solution with Visual Studio, does the charting options through WD9 Premium offer an option where I can visualize data with a login vs. just having another page that everyone can see? Basically I would love to build it right in to his Xara solution vs. having to login with someone else. Yes, I can build it in to a frame but I'm looking to see if I can create one solution, with a login-specific page.

Thanks in advance.

EZ
    Last edited by ez1138; 05 April 2013 at 08:41 PM.

Default Re: WD9 Premium - Charting Question

Well if I understand your question, you could require a password to view the updated information, or just publish to an unlisted page. Though Google can and usually does find these and worse yet posts a link to an archived site if you delete the content.

You can write a simple .htaccess file to limit access to the updates.

Hi,

I was referring to have a username and password to view a specific page. Is that an option? My client wants an extranet he can login to. Worst case I can build something in Visual Studio or wherever with forms authentication and just create a Xara page and stick it in a placeholder. I was seeing if the WD9 had something like that built in or if someone came up with something cool in the past that would work.

Appreciate the reply.

EZ

Quote Originally Posted by ez1138 View Post
    Hi,

I was referring to have a username and password to view a specific page. Is that an option?
    Not natively in Web Designer. There are javascript and PHP password protection scripts, or as Gary suggested make use of .htaccess with a .htpasswd, but if you are running this on an intranet it would depend on the server software.

Cool, really appreciate the e-mails. I saw some code for Java that I am going to throw in. I might have some follow-up questions if someone can assist. After I get it to work, I can repost a page to help whomever after.

Thanks again.

Hey Sledger,

Is there someone within the forum is knowledgeable on creating a page with .htaccess with a .htpasswd? I just have zero experience with it. Thanks in advance.

You need to create a folder you wish password protected.
    Then create an .htaccess file pointing to the .htpasswd file
    You can create both in notepad.

Create your .htaccess file similar to the following:

Code:
    # This is a comment, it is ignored by Apache due to the # character
    # The next line must contain the FULL filepath to the folder on your server. You'll need to find this yourself.
    AuthUserFile /home/sitename/public_html/private/.htpasswd
    # Next line leave as is
    AuthType Basic
    # Next line just tell's the visitor the folders protected
    AuthName "This is a password protected folder"
    # Next line leave as is
    Require valid-user
    You can remove all the lines with the # comment tags if you wish. Getting the correct path is the hardest part.

Now create your .htpasswd file.

Code:
    # Each user needs to be placed on a new line. The first part is the username followed by : followed by the encrypted password.
    egg:$apr1$QLKsuqXJ$ju51MZCwWdUJEM5IQGmwd1
    # The encrypted line is created by an on-line generator link given below
    Upload both these files to the folder you wish to password protect.

I find it best to name the files htaccess.txt and htpasswd.txt on the local computer then rename them .htacces & .htpasswd on the on-line server after upload.

You can test it out HERE and use the username egg and password egg

You can use an on-line generator like HERE

For more details view HERE
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Cool. I will give that a try. Quick follow-up. My web host is Windows-based vs. Apache. Will that matter?