Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: WD 9 (Premium) - how to download everything?

If you want to work offline permanently it is recommended that you still install from CD so that all of the content is installed locally rather than stored in the program cache.
    If you require a CD then you'll need to contact Xara support at http://support.xara.com for assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    If you want to work offline permanently it is recommended that you still install from CD so that all of the content is installed locally rather than stored in the program cache.
    If you require a CD then you'll need to contact Xara support at http://support.xara.com for assistance.
    Thanks for the update, I've contacted Xara Support. But this seems quite cumbersome: If I click to 'download all' the elements of a template, I'd really expect them to be permanently on my machine. And actually I think that is what happened with Version 8. After I eventually downloaded all the elements, I never again got the message of needing to connect to the server to download something. So what exactly does it mean for an item to be in the programme's cache? And is there a specific action which would remove it from there accidentally? Also if I have two versions of v9 open (32 and 64 bit) - is there a particular advantage/disadvantage to downloading each programme's template elements separately vs. downloading to one of the programmes and including a link in the design gallery to the other programme's graphics?

Thanks
    Yaffa

If Xara release updated versions of templates in the DG then the old templates you had previously downloaded in the DG will be removed and the new ones will be available 'to download should you wish to use them (they'll be downloaded when you next try opening that particular template file). Also going to More > Empty designs cache in the DG will remove these templates from the program cache. To install them permanently you must install the program from the installation CD.
    What is your ticket ID you submitted to Xara support?

The 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Web Designer 9 Premium will use the same resources, so if you download the content in the 32 bit version then the same content will still be available when you close it and open the 64 bit version.

I'll repeat it once more - the way in which the Designs Gallery content is served in version 9 is exactly the same as it was in version 8 (MX).

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    If Xara release updated versions of templates in the DG then the old templates you had previously downloaded in the DG will be removed and the new ones will be available 'to download should you wish to use them (they'll be downloaded when you next try opening that particular template file). Also going to More > Empty designs cache in the DG will remove these templates from the program cache. To install them permanently you must install the program from the installation CD.
    What is your ticket ID you submitted to Xara support?

The 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Web Designer 9 Premium will use the same resources, so if you download the content in the 32 bit version then the same content will still be available when you close it and open the 64 bit version.

I'll repeat it once more - the way in which the Designs Gallery content is served in version 9 is exactly the same as it was in version 8 (MX).
    Many thanks. My ticket ID is Ticket ID is: IPK-281319

So do I understand correctly that unless you deliberately empty the design cache, it in fact makes no difference if you have installed templates from CD or downloaded them. In both cases you get the option of the latest edition of a template if you are connected to the net, and can stick with the previous version if you are not (because if you are offline, then the system has no way of telling you that there's an update to the template, so it won't remove what's in your cache).

Thanks again,
    Yaffa