Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Webdesigner 9 is out

yes it is out. http://www.xara.com/products/webdesigner/ and from what I have seen it should be called 8.5 Maybe it's just me but I was expecting a lot more from it other than small tweaks.
    Last edited by Barbara B; 04 April 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Corrected URL to international version of the link.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Default Re: Webdesigner 9 is out

I agree, this doesn't appear to be a major version update. I reviewed the lists of what people were asking for on the forums, and I don't think this version meets any of those requests. There is no reason for me to update on this one. I'm hoping the Designer Pro release will be a better offering!

Well, I would think support for 64 bit warranted it as a major release. I think there are some interesting enhancements there. Now all I have to do is wait two months for XDP to be released.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    Well, I would think support for 64 bit warranted it as a major release.
    That is a good point. I guess this wasn't as pressing as an issue for me because I didn't experience speed or memory issues on my 64bit machine running the 32bit version.

The whole 64bit thing is something that a lot software caters for these days and it is a great thing for something like photoshop, but having 32bit does not limit the software, it does limit the size of the website (images really) but if you are designing a website that needs that much memory then you should not be using xara webdesigner any way, a database driven cms like wordpress would be the thing to use. I have now done over 120 websites with xara webdesigner (average 7 pages but also 30 and 40 pages websites) and not had memory errors.

The other stuff can be done already anyway - you can use google fonts, you can embed fonts etc etc and the navbar thing I never use as it is better to create your own navbars anyway.

The only nice thing is the support for html/css for graphics, so that things like rectangles are now html rather than pngs which can really speed up a website - and that is enough for me personally to upgrade.

Still waters run deep. Download the free trial and look at some of the new features (the ease of selecting and embedding Google fonts is a winner for me--I replaced Verdana on my website with Raleway, which comes in 9 weights www.gwpriester.com It really changes the look and feel of the site.

The 64-bit is killer for all those people who were getting slowdowns or out of memory warnings.

Drag and drop replace color is really improved, especially with navigation bars, you get the choice to change the color on the visible buttons as well as the ones hidden behind. And you can drag and drop color onto almost anything and get a menu of choices.

But rather than rewrite my review, read it first http://xaraxone.magix.net/XWD9/index.htm. Download the free trial, and then tell me how you like the product.

Xara has put a lot of work into making this product more powerful while at the same time making it a lot easier to use. To be too quick to dismiss it before you take it all in.

I bought it anyway - I always do!
    The 64-bit version will be a big help but it is my fault for not structuring my sites and splitting across functional areas.
    The HTML 5 / CSS is one of my asked for features so I had better exercise this and comment back. If done well then page sizes and responses (and SEO) will be improved.
    I only like the Table as Xara sensibly embedded column sorts. It's a Widget Jim but not as we know it. Have a look a Baslamiq Mockups to see how interactive a Widget can be. If only Xara could import Balsamiq Mockup XML.

A bit strange starting a wish list so soon.

What is the product anyway? A web site creator, DTP, presentation tool or just a fantastically quick and intuitive graphic package.
    People pay much more for just one of the above.

Acorn

I think xara should have Gary Priester's article on xarazone for their website, it explains far more clearly the features of the new version rather than the one they have at the moment. Will wait a couple of weeks to see how it's going and then just buy it as I have to hand my mate's laptop back soon. But that css for rectangles and text shadows etc is worth the purchase.

There are some nice new enhancements

I like these...

"Drag & drop NavBar replacement" - always wanted this, brill
    "Improved web page background handling" - again certain backgrounds were tricky to do so improvements to this area is very welcome
    "shapes such as rectangles, rounded rectangles with grad fills and transparency, shadows, text with shadows and page backgrounds, are displayed using native HTML not memory hungry PNGs" - nice
    "Rectangles that contain a tiling bitmap fill or a simple axis aligned graduated fill are now exported more efficiently as a single tile, set to repeating (rather than having the whole object rendered as a single large bitmap)" - nice
    "64 bit Windows version" - nice

Nothing too earth shattering but good improvements all the same and there seems to be a lot of extra templates etc. I think it is a worthy upgrade but I need more time to digest and I gotta read garys review and then I gotta wait to see what the DP release brings. Good stuff
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Warning to people buying or upgrading to the 64bit version.

32bit Plugin Filters do not work in a 64bit environment. This means there are no Live Effects and any installed 32bit Adobe plugin Filters which you are accustomed to using in earlier versions will not be available.

If Adobe filters and LiveEffects are important to you, you should download the 32bit version.

Also, take care when installing and chose the 'Custom Install' if you want to prevent 'Simplicheck' (bundleware) from MAGIX being installed as well.
    This is not necessary for Web Designer to function normally.