Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max. image size

Default Max. image size

Hi all.

I have tried to search the forums and through Google for the maximum image size that can be used in Xara Photo & Graphic Designer, but unfortunately I have not found an answer to that.

Photoshop has a limit of 300.000 x 300.000 pixels for a single image, and that is quite a limitation for those who work with big giga panoramas and other huge images. I would really appreciate it if someone could provide the max image size in Xara... and hopefully it is "limit-less"... it would easily become the preferred image editor for those working with big images.

Trausti

Default Re: Max. image size

As far as I know there's no limit for Xara but the memory. I know there's a registry setting which hinders Xara on opening huge files but you can override this by editing the setting yourself. (Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePr o \8.1\Options\Filters\ImportSize default value =1920 but it can be set to 8000 or more)

@Michael: By using the File>>New>>Blank Photo document you can import much larger hires photos, this special document (which has no size limitation for imported photos) was designed for working with hi-resolution photos.
    But perhaps the OP is talking about the maximum image creation size?

preferred image editor

It's not really an image editor though, nor does it have a 'limitless' capacity since it's limited by the memory available to the app - 3GB.

Xara software is about image creation, but not really image editing (in the manner of pixel-based software).

Thank you Sledger and Michael.

Let me try to clarify:
    My question relates to opening already existing images bigger than 300.000 x300.000 pixels (90 gb), and if it is possible to work on those images and save the image again with applied changes etc.
    Such images would normally be created in stitching software such as PTgui (dot com) by stitching hundreds if not thousands of images into a single scene.

I have never used Xara, but it looks like a great and capable tool. Is it correct that any PS plugin (for example from Topaz Labs dot com) would be fully compatible with Xara?

Trausti, the trial is free, but I don't think it's going to do what you want. Download the trial and have a go loading a huge image.

Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    My question relates to opening already existing images bigger than 300.000 x300.000 pixels (90 gb), and if it is possible to work on those images and save the image again with applied changes etc.
    Such images would normally be created in stitching software such as PTgui (dot com) by stitching hundreds if not thousands of images into a single scene.
    Good grief. Definitely no to that.

Is it correct that any PS plugin (for example from Topaz Labs dot com) would be fully compatible with Xara?
    Most, not all.
    As Paul says, Xara P&GD is not a 100% raster editor. It's roots are a vector application (formerly known as Xara Xtreme).
    So it's more closely akin to CorelDraw.

Many thanks for the answers, even when I had hoped for better news. Personally I don't work with gigapanos or images in the gigapixel sizes, but many of the people who work in my sector (panoramas) do, and they are limited by the before mentioned 300k x 300k sizes in PS.

Back in the 90's, there was some image editor for Mac that allowed unlimited size of images to be edited in realtime. It was discontinued many years ago, and the engine was never translated for newer versions of Mac's or Windows. It would have been great if there was something similar around today since there is a real need for it today (which there wasn't back in the 90's).

Again, many thanks, I will download a trial for testing when I can see a hole in my calendar for doing something fun

Best of days to you all.

Trausti

Microsoft ICE is an excellent pano sticher than can work with many images. It's free too.

Yes, but ICE doesn't allow for the output to be used in any commercial projects, so it is limited to hobby users. Quality of stitching is also to be considered... PTgui is absolutely the best, and is the chosen stitching software by most professionals (and serious hobbyists)... Hugin is a free alternative, quite similar to PTgui, but not quite as easy or stable in use. Both of those have no limitations of use for the stitched results.

Trausti