Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: hide a page

Default hide a page

like the title says, can an entire page be hidden in web designer (as a layer can be)?
    "Your never too old to Rock and Roll" ......
    ~Ronald Belford Scott 1946-1980

Default Re: hide a page

Yes. (click the hide 'eye'-con in the page&layer gallery for the mouseoff layer)
    But why would you want to!?

Afraid thats not the solution im looking for, just tested it. here is the scenario

Client asks for a special section of page/s to be developed for their site. This was done.
    Client is a long standing client with no previous problems so payment for development was not taken until completion.
    New page set, does exactly what they wanted but they have changed their mind and no longer want the pages. (main page of set has a link in nav bar)

I know that they really do want this development and it is likely, as in very very likely, that they will come back to me at a later date.
    Rather than delete the pages, save another version and upload it to the site without these new pages, what i want to do as an alternative is
    to exclude/hide the pages from upload for now and then include them again when i need to.

I was thinking that this would be handy when developing pages for a website full stop, only making the pages visible when that part of development is complete.
    in this way other development could be uploaded, while other work (ie other complete pages) in the same web designer file is protected from the website users view.

Quote Originally Posted by TXAlba View Post
    Afraid thats not the solution im looking for, just tested it.
    Ah, Well you didn't really ask the right question, did you?

You can't exclude pages from being published, but what you can easily do is unlink them.

TXAlba, why not just take a copy of the site file (save it as a meaningful name in a place you can remember), then delete the pages. You then have a fallback position.

If your client asked for the development, then changed their mind after the work was done, you should still charge them for that time.

This builds on Paul's suggestion.

Save your entire document with a new name that reflects the single page.

Then once saved, delete all but the page you want saved.

Delete the page from the current site and if need be, remove it from the navigation bar.

If in the future your client wants to include the page, open the file with the page, right click (with nothing selected) and select Copy Page.

Go to your website document, and Paste Page. Move the page to the correct location, etc.

I agree with multi xar file approach. Whenever I make major changes to any site I save as a new xar file with a number increment on the end of the filename. I have folders for each site with their various file versions inside. This can allow for cleaner files without lots of hidden or unused stuff and you can always restore an old version or grab stuff out of the older files if need be.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Thanks for replys