Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Contour

Default Contour

Can someone tell me why I cant get a contour lineKestrels Transfer.pdf around this complete design...It is driving me insane......

Default Re: Contour

Welcome to TalkGraphics

What complete design are you referring to? Are you referring to the PDF file you have linked to?

If you want an outline around the whole logo, text, etc, first place a copy of the logo in the clipboard or on another page.

For an overall outline you need to have just the vector shapes, no rectangles or bitmaps (the text for Kestrals is a clipped bitmap, it will only work if you have the actual text or a vector image for the word), then from the Arrange menu, select Combine Shapes > Add Shapes. Add your contour to this new combined shape.

As Gary has said, you have a couple of clipped groups. If you set the view quality slider and reduce to the lowest (wireframe) setting, you will see that you have two rectangles, one around the "Kestrels" text and one around the wings design. Select the wings and press "ALT+Q" to release the clipped objects and ungroup everything. You can now select the rectangle (arrowed) and delete it. Regroup and you can now apply a contour to the group. While you are at it, delete the kestrels text too, as you will have to redraw it using Aardvark font or similar and apply an extrusion to it to match the original.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	95324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kestrels.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	95325  

** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hello Darlawlor, Welcome to Talkgraphics!

I had a look at the pdf and as Gary and Bob have said there are some clipped groups and clipped shapes in there that you don't need that are causing the trouble. But there is no need to redraw the Kestrels text.

If you open the page and layer Gallery you will see that there are 2 clipped groups and two clipped shapes. The two clipped groups have rectangles the size of the page with no colour and no line, and the two clipped shapes are the kestrals text.

1. With the top clipped group in the gallery and Alt+Q to unclip it and you will now see all of the shapes that were inside of this clipview listed in the gallery. Find the shape with no colour and no line and delete it. Shift + Select all the remaining items from this unclipped group and group them Ctrl +G

2. The two clipped shapes are the Kestrals text and if you expand them in the gallery you will notice that one has a photo clipped to an outline of the text. This one is fine no need to do anything to it. The second one has a photo clipped to a rectangle shape this is not needed delete this one.

3. The second clipped group also has a shape at the bottom of the layer stack. Unclip the group as before and delete this shape. regroup.

Now you can select all (Ctrl + A) or marquee select everything and group. you should now be able to use the contour tool on the logo no problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kestrals_shots.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	95340  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Well spotted.