Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem installing Web Designer Premium Version 8

I had been working with Web Designer Premium for a while and all of a sudden I was getting a message that said
    The program could not be started because something was damaged. So I downloaded Xara web designer premium again and I'm still getting message that say it won't open up. (See attached.) PLEASE tell me how I can fix this.

I have a serial number but nothing came up for me to place it in.

I should probably tell you that I run Xara Web Designer Premium on my Mac using parallels.

thank you.

Sandra Putaansuu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	95059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	95060  

Default Re: Problem installing Web Designer Premium Version 8

Hi

go to add/remove programs, see if there is a 'repair' option for this program and run that instead of reinstalling - you may then need to reactivate using the serial number

if this does not work, or you have exceeded the number of reactivations initially allowed, you can contact Xara Support by going to their website logging onto your account and raising a support ticket
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks. Where would "add/remove programs" link be? I hope this may work after I've "uninstalled" and reinstalled it. I have a support ticket- just waiting for a response. Thanks again for your help.

for windows 7:

windows control panel > programs should have an option 'uninstall a program' - find web designer in the list and click on it then click on uninstall/change button at top of list and you should get a dialog box open with the options available
    Nothing lasts forever...

OK, I see that, but I can't find "repair" as an option. This is what I'm seeing (attached) when I click on it, it will only allow me to uninstall it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 3.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	95086

ok looks like repair option is not available in this web designer product at this particular link point, so much for consistency.. - but if instead you click on the program installer program and re-run that [without having uninstalled first] you should get the option, as shown attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss repair.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	95089  
    Nothing lasts forever...

uh oh - what if I already "uninstalled"? Is that likely why the "repair" option isn't there? What should I do next? I tried to install and it says the "folder" is damaged.

I submitted a ticket a couple days ago. I haven't gotten a response.

sounds like the uninstall might not have worked correctly - but I'm not sure

how exactly did you uninstall it?

I assume there is no entry now for this program in the control panel uninstall programs list?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Actually, when I tried to install the program just now it gave me the option to repair - which I did but in the last steps, it comes up with the error 6 message again. I submitted a ticket to support day before yesterday. How long does it usually take?

To answer your question about how I uninstalled it, I went into my windows 7 applications clicked on the Xara folder, clicked on the Xara Web Design MX Premium where there's a choice to open the program or uninstall the program (see attached) This may all seem odd because I'm running Xara using parallels on my Mac.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 4.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	95103

I tried repairing again and it said the installation folder could be damaged. (error 1)

I think I need someone from support but - in the past they've taken days. Should I try Uninstalling it again?
    Last edited by Poouster; 17 March 2013 at 03:38 PM.

no, not at this stage - I've done a search and this problem [which crops up with depressing regularity] does not seem to have a definitive answer - so you may have to wait for Xara Ltd unless another user knows a fix - I'm inclined to think it is something to do with the copy-protection system [one thing that seems to 'trigger' it is restoring images or re-partitioning disks for example]
    Nothing lasts forever...