Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Minimise, Maximise and Close Buttons

Well that's interesting, you never stop learning something
    So that option doesn't appear in any other version yet, only Designer Pro X.
    Yet the Help file very confusingly states:

Standard keys / Classic keys

At any time you can press Standard Keys to set all the command shortcuts back to the default settings for Xara Designer Pro X.
    Alternatively press Classic Keys to reset to a keyset that was used by early versions of Xara Designer Pro X.
    Now when did I miss an earlier version of Designer Pro X that used different shortcut keys to the version I use now !?!

I've tried CTRL+8 in all versions back to Xtreme Pro 4. Doesn't work for me.
    Do you know which version/s of Xara software had CTRL+8 as the key presses for full screen?

Do you know which version/s of Xara software had CTRL+8 as the key presses for full screen?
    It's all a blur to me. The only thing that really has torqued me over the years is when they change the behavior of the spacebar from last tool selected--a convenient way to toggle between the Selector Tool and the last used tool) to the Push Tool because it was more like Illustrator! If I wanted something like Illustrator, I WOULD USE ILLUSTRATOR. The rest of the conventions are a mixed bag. New behavior. Q creates a Clipview. In my classic version, it Alt Q. In the old version F5 is the Fill Tool, new version it refreshes the page or removes a mask (Photoshop on the last one).

As I never use Full Screen (except my mistake), I have no idea what the shortcut is or used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    As I never use Full Screen (except my mistake), I have no idea what the shortcut is or used to be.
    Me neither

But it's always been numlock 8 in all versions of Xara X, Xara Xtreme Pro, Xara Designer Pro, Web Designer and Photo&Graphic Designer that I have installed.
    I don't customise shortcuts and I've not tried the 'Classic' button in the current DPX. Ctrl+8 is a complete anomaly to me... Hmm.. Curious it works for you.. I'll investigate.
    Alt+Q removes clipview in my copies.

I just tried the number 8 on the keypad it makes it full screen but blows it out past my monitor and the minimize collapse and close are gone. Control 8 did nothing, as far as I can tell, likewise with the 8 at the top of the keyboard. Just going to full screen from the toolbar seems to work perfect.

The Classic keyset is intended to give continuity of the logic from earlier versions rather than being a simple literal copy. One of the principles it uses it that character-producing keys should not be used as shortcuts because they are too easy to use by mistake, they will not work in the text tool and if you try to use them in the text tool you get annoying results.

So, Numpad 8 on it's own is deemed to be a "bad thing"(TM) in the Classic keyset and Ctrl+Numpad 8 is better.

The Classic keyset was introduced in V8 so you won't find Ctrl+NumPad 8 used before that version.

(Note that the Classic keyset may still use some character-producing keys for shortcuts because this principle has to be weighed up against back-compatibility and other factors.)

Judging by this thread and others, it seems that NumPad+8 gets a lot of people into trouble and I think we should really change it to Ctrl+Numpad 8 (or something else) in the standard keyset. I'll suggest it.

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 25 March 2013 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ber61 View Post
    I just tried the number 8 on the keypad it makes it full screen but blows it out past my monitor and the minimize collapse and close are gone.
    This is correct behaviour. There are no application window controls in full screen mode.

EDIT: Thanks Phil

I rarely use full screen mode either, but have just had a look (in Xtreme 5) at the top menu bar that drops down on hover. It is missing the close, minimize etc as already mentioned, but here's the weird thing ... if you click in roughly in the right area you get the functionality (although they affect just the document, not the program). If you hover with the mouse pointer over where the controls should be (but only with a document maximized/viewable) you get the tooltips 'Minimize', 'Restore Down' and 'Close'. So I guess they are there ... but you just can't see them.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Solved it this morning (with a little help from my friends)

I think the key is that the programme does indeed seem to "blow out" slightly past the monitor extents (as ber61 says). I managed to "grab" the top of the window, pull it back down onto the screen so that I could see the top of the window and the behaviour is now back to normal.

I think I tried that yesterday, but maybe didn't try hard enough.

Anyway, it's solved for now, so many thanks to all the people who have given advice.