Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
We have a number of free local magazines, a couple of them a worth a read but whereas it used to be 30% adverts to 70% content it is now 70% adverts, not because there is nothing to report on but because the publishers have had to drop their advert prices so much that they now need to pack as many as they can just to break even, in fact there are many popping up with just adverts. As for social media adverts; they simply do not work, facebook have tried every trick in the book to get people to click on adverts, even the latest re-design will be giving a massive increase in real estate to adverts but they still do not work.

The only reason newspapers were successful to begin with is that they allowed the great unwashed to get news of what was happening in the rest of the country, and then the world when it actual fact many did not even leave their villages from birth to death, then with the advent of tv the whole world was suddenly brought into our living rooms, and then we had 24hour tv news;available whenever we wanted and with the internet we get all that plus we have complete control on which piece of news to read or choose which bloggers site to go to. Technology will always move on... perhaps in another 100 years we will have the latest happenings beamed directly into our brains and then people will weep at the demise of the 'good old internet'.
I so agree, our local paper is in big trouble. I will not be renewing my subscription not only have they doubled the full page color ads, they have doubled their price, replaced their "news" with fluff