Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Frustrating Product Limitatations? Backgropund Image and Frame Sizing

oh steve has multiple monitors alright

I still do not really understand what the problem actually is regarding the multi-monitor issue , because so far I haven't been able to see one
    Last edited by handrawn; 17 March 2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add qualifier
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Frustrating Product Limitatations? Backgropund Image and Frame Sizing

well you do have the option of importing your own custom made rectangle vector shape [if you have access to a compatible vector editor]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Handrawn,

Let me demonstrate:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HollyCreekExample.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	95119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HollyCreekExample3.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	95120

The image on the left is Xara on my 32" monitor, the one on the right is what the project looks like when I drag the application to a 17" monitor. No other graphic product I use does this.

No other graphic product I use does this.
    Xara 3D is not a raster editor like any other graphic application. It's a fairly specific 3D text and animation app.
    Xara 3D Maker is solely designed to create the highest quality 3D text and graphics, such as headings, logos, titles and buttons.

I see nothing wrong with your examples. The canvas size is determined by the window size rather than a fixed 'page size' (in a similar way as tiled webpage background would be) and the frame + text graphic is centred relative the background size. So to export a static graphic with the background at the size you need (such as the screenshot on the left) you need to reduce down the X3D7 window to that size before you export. The export options also allows you to set a specific size.
    It is not really intented to be a full screen application unless you are aware of the effect it will have on your background texture tiling and the poisition of your 3D text etc..
    Perhaps you'd be better off with Xara Photo & Graphic Designer because what you seem to be doing would be better suited. Grab the trial version and have a play.

following on from what steve has just said:

xara 3D is an extruded text editor, everything else is just 'trimmings' - in your examples the text remains the same, [as does its border], which is what you are actually 'editing' - the background is provided for you as a handy way of designing the text over the same background it will have on the website it is not part of the 'drawing' as such - ok you can incorporate it into the animation, but you need to be aware that it will tile [because it is really intended for seamless textures and not pictures] - and under these circumstances what you show is not a problem - its not what you get in PS, but it's not PS, as steve pointed out in so many words....

this is touched on in the help file

so you need to either look at it the other way round and resize your background image so that it is the same size as the border you want, and then position it so it tiles accordingly.... or indeed, use another app
    Nothing lasts forever...

go to design option and hover the cursor over "stretch"
    you can change the percentage . Put the cursor to the left of the last 0 in 100% and backspace the 10. enter 9 and look at the difference. etc