Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Template

Default Re: Mobile Template

What a confusing post, isn't the [QUOTE] system working in Harwich!?

Tested again and confusing results which i will put down to phone type. the HTC i have defaults to a medium zoom, with this setting the site must be scrolled, it has a far and close setting on the phone too also, close is useless as its just like zooming and far is too far as i see bags and bags of background image forcing me to pinch the screen to zoom and view the site properly. Problem here is im not going to change settings for each site i visit, this may be the HTC Wildfire only but dont have another HTC to test against. I did however test using an alternative phone, a Samsung S2, on this phone it is almost perfect but at least everything is on the screen and the site is very usable and I wouldn't anticipate many complaints form any clients you give it too, however the site can be moved to the left but only to view the very very edge of the template (the fuzzy black edge) which is insignificant when browsing the site.

Seems good to me but someone more knowledgeable on mobile sites may be able to suggest improvement

"Your never too old to Rock and Roll" ......
    ~Ronald Belford Scott 1946-1980

Quote Originally Posted by tx200man View Post
    I did however test using an alternative phone, a Samsung S2, on this phone it is almost perfect but at least everything is on the screen and the site is very usable and I wouldn't anticipate many complaints form any clients you give it too, however the site can be moved to the left but only to view the very very edge of the template (the fuzzy black edge) which is insignificant when browsing the site.
    Removing the page shadow fixes that
    Attached Files Attached Files

Now looking great on the Samsung, good job and many thanks for sharing such a valuable resource James.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSA View Post
    Thanks James
    Just what I was looking for. Can anyone tell how to include a script which detects if you are on a mobile device, and switch you onto the right page? (Main or Mobile website)
    I just posted this option. Check it out.... should work on most unix servers.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...812#post469812

Cheers!
    Last edited by Brazen; 12 March 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: forgot something

Oh.... and I use this in the <head> of all my pages. Does seem to work fairly well at least for Android devices. (phones and tabs)
    Code:
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, target-densitydpi=device-dpi" />
    Also, want to include this snippet of what my provider's default page had... which did create a default mobile page as well. Looks to divert "if mobile" to your mobile site directory?
    Code:
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    <!--

if (document.cookie.match(/(^|;)\s*is_mobile=1/)) {
    	document.write(
    		"&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" +
    		"<a href='?mobile'>Mobile Site</a>"
    	);
    }

//-->
    </script>
    Jim

I've considered creating phone friendly sites for some of the websites I've designed but not progressed because of the time involved, however one thing to consider, you may lose more friends than you gain unless you put all the content of your site in the phone friendly version.
    I have occasionally looked for information on Stoke City Ladies on the Stoke City website on my Ipad and it infuriates me when the site forces me to the mobile site where they have missed off the ladies section and I have no way of 'making' the website let me use the full site even though I am using the home wifi

kilo,
    good comment.
    Also me I feel sometimes like a "lowerclass" user when entering a website with a mobile device, forced to become diverted to the mobile version and such getting only an extract of the original webbased info. It`s not the system making this critical for sure, it`s the webmaster thinking of summarizing the original info to fit into a reasonable format for mobiles. So the key learning should be: Yes, adjust your original for mobile usage, but don`t miss info. Challenging approach I guess.
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post

<script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    if (screen.width <= 699) {
    document.location = "mobile.html";
    }
    //-->
    </script>
    I use this script too but i wondered if you or anyone else has found a solution to my issue:

When redirected through the above script to the mobile site, i want a link on that mobile site that will show the user the original website, is there something that can stop or ignore this script that can be added to a button or link to take the user to the original 'desktop' site? Otherwise they get caught in a loop?

edit, for the moment what i do is redirect to an alternative page, this itself is a solution that some others may use but its not ideal as all it takes is the site visitor to visit my index page and they will be redirected again.

I think this should work. Create a duplicate of your home page, but without the redirect script, and link back to this page.