Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Graphic Tablets,(yes, that again), for non-serious user

Been searching and searching and I'm not sure I'm any better off than when I started, so thought I'd seek out the experts.

I'm looking to purchase a graphics tablet, probably used, but cost is definitely a concern because I'm not sure I can do what I want with it. Here is what I'm looking to do:
    1. Rough sketches of various woodworking projects (I can sketch faster than I can use Sketch-Up or other CAD software.)
    2. My version of video-scribing as shown here: http://tinyurl.com/agxzqmv

Wacom Bamboo seems to be what everyone recommends and there are a number of used, older models out there on ebay. Which is ok as I'm a used, older model myself. But I'm sure there are other brands and models.

What should I look out for in a used tablet?
    More importantly, what model(s) should I run from?
    Should I just bite the bullet and buy a cheap, new model?

Don't want to start a holy-war, just looking for recommendations and/or suggestions.

Thanks!

Bill W

Default Re: Graphic Tablets,(yes, that again), for non-serious user

i started with a Trust tablet, cheap and found it fine to use, it was the A3 i had (infact its still in the garage somewhere), i then progressed to the Wacom Intuos3 a4 tablet and the extra cost was worth it, primarily for producing digital paintings and the versatility of A4 size.

The bigger A3 i found just to be too big, just not portable enough and difficult to use while watching the telly . The Intuos 3 should be affordable now as been around a good long while, if i broke mine i would be straight out to find another.

if its just to replace your mouse though and not for using with a graphics or photo manipulation program where precision is your primary aim, and use of the tablet for that type of thing is just occasional, then i would probably opt for a wacom bamboo A5 tablet instead.

hope that helps.
    "Your never too old to Rock and Roll" ......
    ~Ronald Belford Scott 1946-1980

Default Re: Graphic Tablets,(yes, that again), for non-serious user

I would say do not buy a 2nd hand drawing tablet - there are some areas of the tablet that need to be treated with respect - such as not dropping the pen on its tip or storing it in such a way as to exert constant pressure on the tip [eg in a container tip down without a cap on - a cap is important, if its missing it means you will need to be extra careful with the pen], USB wiring needs checking, so does the drawing surface of the tablet - give ebay a miss on this one

Quite a few inexpensive good tablets around - see if you can try them out first in a store somewhere - I have a bamboo, and I would recommend it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...