Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Width of Selection Confusion

The Width of Selection box in the Selection Tool Inof Bar does not seem to add in the width of any line thickness. If I make a rectangle that is 500 x 250, the box correctly reflects the size. If I change line width to 16, the box still shows 500 x 250. It is a problem upon export when the exported file does include the line widths, in this case it adds a total of 16 pix (8 each side) with a resultant export not equal to the displayed width. WordPress seems dogmatic about certain widths an exact width is helpful.

I suppose I can add the labor of calculating line widths to meet exact export dimensions but I do not remember doing this in previous editions. I'm thinking there is a buried setting that I have changed. Is there such a setting to account for the discrepancy?

Thanks, Dan

Default Re: Width of Selection Confusion

Hi Dan

It's a setting in the selector tool infobar called Scale line widths. If you set it to on, the width of selection will include any outlines and as you have found vice versa.

I'm still using an old version of Xara so it might be in a different position now, but in my version it is a 'small arrow with a backslash' icon next to the flip vertically/horizontally icons ... towards the right-hand side.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Hi Dan,

Use the Blank Photo document type. Which is what I do for anything destined for the web, which sounds like you are.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you very much, Su, for helping to solve what's been a mystery for me for quite some time. I knew there had to be a setting or option that was governing placement of objects with line width set when snapping to a grid. It's been driving me crazy for months, if not years, that most of the time I can align objects to the grid by points, but every once in a while, the program would get it into its (metaphorical) head that I wanted to snap to the outside of an outline. The reason for this makes perfect sense now.

I usually leave Scale Line Widths off, except for certain times when I find I need to alter the widths of a collection of lines (that are themselves not all the same width), so I turn on that feature, scale my objects up (or down), then turn it off, and scale them back to the original size, but the line widths have all now been increased (or decreased) the desired amount. Occasionally I forget to turn it off, thus the unexpected behavior when positioning items.

You learn something new every day.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Perfect. So much to learn. So little time. Thanks. Dan