Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Importing a shape from Photoshop

Hello

I wonder if you can help?

I have created a logo in Photoshop CS5 and saved it as a PNG file.

I have been told to get it into Xara 3D as a design I have to first open the PNG in Adobe Illustrator and save that file as an Adode Illustrator File (ai) which I've done but I simply cannot get it into Xara.

Am I doing it right? Should the file be a certain size to import into Xara 3D?

I have followed the same procedure above for both wmf and emf files but still can't get it into Xara 3D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

Default Re: Importing a shape from Photoshop

Welcome to TalkGraphics

The logo has to be in a vector format. PNG is a bitmap format.

You need to convert the bitmap to a vector object. Vector Magic http://vectormagic.com/home might be able to convert your logo to a vector (PDF or .AI) that you can import. But the vector can only be one color.

Hi Polar Bear, if you have created your logo with the pen tool in Photoshop, you can export directly from photoshop : " File/Export/Paths to illustrator"

Otherwise you can convert it to vectors in illustrator by doing an image trace before saving : " Object/Image trace "

Marc

Hello

Many thanks for coming back so quickly. I've gone down the Illustrator route. I have managed to get the Live Trace to work and I can get the image now into Xara 3D BUT the image is being traced (I know that sounds obvious) and the result is shown in Xara 3D. But I wanted the whole shape to be traced. Let's say the image is a a bar, the the sides are being traced with the reuslt that Xara shows the sides but the centre is hollow - I hope this makes sense. I wanted a whole bar in Xara 3D. Am I doing somehting wrong in Illustrator, do I need to 'fill' the trace?

Rgds

A picture = 1,000 words.

Can you post an image of the logo/and or your traced AI image?

You might have selected the Outline option in Xara 3D. I don't have Xara 3D Maker installed at the moment but as I remember the is an icon with an O that is outlined. And I think it is in the Extrusion tab. If that is selected, un-select it and see if you have a solid shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

do I need to 'fill' the trace?
    yes - give it a vector fill
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...