Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: February 2013 Video Tutorial - Advanced Image Retouching

Yes, they can be broken apart, Dave. Use the Arrange>Break Shapes command. Post your working Xara file as an attachment and let me look at it. Actually, I made a mistake and if you use Slice Shapes you don't have to break anything apart.

See me proof of feasibility document attached. Oh, my bad: use slice Shapes to cut the blend group with a shape on top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fa2a692948a49daae4d134db98c4832c.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	94826

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can not reproduce your results. Yes changing the line to butt caps solved one of the problems but I have tried a BUNCH of times and cannot get it to come out correctly with a blended line. I am wondering if there is something different between the two products. I have XP&GD.

The closest I can come is multiple cutouts that can not be manipulated independently if the line is a blended line.

Same as you Dave I have DP7 and cannot use a blend to weave, fine with just a shape, also if you use use a letter extruded and try to weave a shape through it, it works but you have a lot of dragging to do on the extrusion to get the colours back right on the extrusion? For some reason or other the colours go out of line. Looks like I'll have to upgrade and use the eraser

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weave.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	94842  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't know what's going on, but it could be a system thing, becaus, Dave, you're using windows 8, right?

I just went to P&GD (I usually run XGDP as you see in the tutorials), I'm in windows 7, and the steps I suggested do indeed produce a sliced line blend that I can then produce the weave effect with.

Promise. It could be the operating system and your program are in conflict.

-g

Think your right Gary about a system conflict, I'm still using Vista Home Premium, everybody complained about it but I've never had any trouble with it. I'll have to rob the piggy bank and upgrade to Pro8 and Windows 7, dont like Windows 8, it's ok for laptops and the like but not for my trusty Desktop

Stygg

Yep: I'm just thinking about what Windows—different versions—will and will not allow a program to do.

Xara is so fast to work with because it has proprietary video handling—it doesn't pass calls onto the system as other programs do.

Which makes it both very powerful and yet very weak, especially when Xara has to write a very mathematically complicated render to screen.

Submit a ticket for this is you care to, Stygg. Obviously, I can get the Slice operation to work; why can't everyone?

I've submitted a ticket to see if the tech. guys can shed some light on this problem Gary, will post their reply as soon as I get it.

Stygg

Thanks guys. I promise, I tried about every option going and it all worked fine unless the "vine" was a blend. A single line worked great.

Gare, what I saw/see with the Slice is that the line chopped the letter in half where it crossed the text object. I was not able to use it to produce the weave.

If helps, I have gotten some errors lately and a couple of times when I was trying to execute the Intersect, the system just hung and I had to close it down.

@Stygg—

You're having fun and you're experimenting, both worthwhile passtimes.

I just want our membership to get thinking about the uses of blends; tutorial to follow.

@Dave—

Nice use of your new techniques to make an avatar. Suggestion? It might be less "busy" without the state flag superimposed on top of the D and C. There's only so much room in an avatar, which means you need to be a good judge about every pixel that appears in the final piece.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    @Dave—

Nice use of your new techniques to make an avatar. Suggestion? It might be less "busy" without the state flag superimposed on top of the D and C. There's only so much room in an avatar, which means you need to be a good judge about every pixel that appears in the final piece.

-g
    I agree with what you are saying. I made a minor tweet that I think helps that a little though. By reducing the size of the flag a little, removing some of the transparency, and putting a small black border around the flag I think it is a little more distinctive and comes across a little crisper. The whole technique of passing the flag through the intertwined letters was something that came to me the other day and I just had to try it and "expose" it to the world.

As always, your comments and suggestions are welcomed. You have become my mentor.

Now I am off to make those ice cream treats "glow" better!!