Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default using 3 d text Xra grinds to a halt

I am making 90mmX52mm business card but rather than using flat font i want slightly beveled ones the using the 3D tool in DP8 but xara grinds to a halt very quickly and times out with the old blue circle goes white out and i have to close the programme before i have even finished one side - saving closing and reopening makes no difference

Any ideas my computer is unlikely to be the issue 1tb hd 32Gb Ram 2x3.2ghz graphic cards quad core

Scruffy
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Default Re: using 3 d text Xra grinds to a halt

Xara Designer is a 32bit application and cannot make use of all that ram scruff
    (See ► http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...ations-windows)
    Until we see a 64bit version of Xara Designer Pro, more than 4Gb of ram on 64bit systems is unuseful to the program.

Also, Xara Designer as it has it's own video routines and relies more heavily on the CPU power rather than impressive video cards (it runs fine on laptops with basic on board graphics chips after all).

What I tend to do when the application starts to chug, is make a bitmap copy of the object that complex object which is slowing down the application, then remove that object.

cheers S food for thought

Scruffy
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

While it won't help you go back and make any changes to the 3D text, once you create it - convert to editable shape, and it will stop being a memory hog. I create 3D shapes in my maps all the time, then I convert to shape, allowing me to include multiple 3D objects without stressing me nor my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffy.thedog View Post
    I am making 90mmX52mm business card but rather than using flat font i want slightly beveled ones the using the 3D tool in DP8 but xara grinds to a halt very quickly and times out with the old blue circle goes white out and i have to close the programme before i have even finished one side - saving closing and reopening makes no difference

Any ideas my computer is unlikely to be the issue 1tb hd 32Gb Ram 2x3.2ghz graphic cards quad core

Scruffy
    I read this when you originally posted. There's gotta be something up. At that size of text (to fit that size of page) it should be pretty dang zippy. I don't know if you tried a different font (nor what font you are using), it could be a faulty font.

I once did a video of rotating 3D text for a comparison with Serif's DrawPlus (to show the difference to them because it is bad). That was a letter-size page I did it on.

Mike

Yeah, unless your business card is the size of a poster, this should not cause the slowdown you are experiencing.

I'm surprised your getting such drastic slow downs. Have you tried creating a Live Copy of your 3D text? This has the advantage that you can change the live copy & it updates on all the other business cards. I'm not sure but I suspect this also reduces the load as it's just the same symbol reproduced say 32 times rather than 32 different independent objects. You could do this for the complete business card in fact.

Perhaps you could attach your xar file so others could see if it slows down their system?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host