Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sheffield, you CAN have multiple pages!

Steve Newport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	4393  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Two most _Critical_ things in my book:

* Align to object selected last

* Calculation of measurements from upper left instead of lower left

Vote YES!:

* Specify default typeface/text size. (Hold last font spec used could be good, too.)

* User-defined hotkeys

* Assign hotkey or toolbar icon for any command (single keystrokes are especially good)

* Symmetrically "stretch" or deform opposite mold points(nodes)

* Better zoom options (hotkeys, right/left click)

* Option to save rotation point position with object and copy/apply with other attributes

* Lean, clean, uncluttered interface

Vote Yes:

* Styles

* Move between animation frames using arrow keys

* Automatic way to renumber animation frames

Vote NO!:

* No dockers. They take up too much space.

* Same goes for radio buttons.

* As for icons -- they're only good if what they stand for is patently clear. And what's clear to one person isn't necessarily clear to someone else.

* Start program maximized (although could be an option)

I agree that the pointy-tip of arrowheads need to be on the end-point(node) of the curve segment.

ALSO, the existing "sizes" of arrowheads aren't that useful (too often the line width has to be changed to an undersireable width to get the arrowhead the correct size). ***What about a profile slider to adjust the sizing as a percentage of the line width??? Could arrowhead profile be saved with the document????

Ditto for the dash spacing of dashed lines.

Arrow head size can be adjusted via the registry key:<blockquote>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\Xa raX\Version 3.0\Options\Displays</blockquote>Change the values of ArrowScale1...4.

I may misunderstand the problem, but Xara always starts how I leave it, unless I minimise it and shut down from the Windows Taskbar (or just quit Windows). Please explain this problem further.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Wizaerd Guest

I'm a bit hesitant to list wishlist features since I've only been playing with xara for a short time, but there are a few things which I think could be extremely beneficial...

1. Multipage capability. Granted you can open multiple documents, but getting them to print to a PDF is a bit of a task, no?

2. An object hierarchy. The names palette is useful if you give your objects names, but if not, there is no real convienet way to navigate through the objects in your illustration. Plus it would make object selection even easier.

3. An option to apply transparency on the core object, but not affecting any effects. For example, applying a bevel to a shape, and having the transparency not effect the bevel, just the inside object. Or having option to have the transparency affect the fill and not the stroke.

4. A print preview, unless there is one and I'm just not finding it.

5. Paste attributes (shadow, bevel, transparency, etc...)

6. EPS Import. I've got a whole slew of EPS clipart from when I subscribed to Dynamic Graphics Designer's CLub, but I cannot pull any of them into Xara.

7. Gradient transparencies.

8. Bitmap selections for applying plugins

How about a magic wand to select and then turn that selection into a shape. Edit the shape, give it feathering, transparency, etc. Then turning that shape back into a selection and applying the plugin.

That would be cool if it was do able. Usually I create a shape for a certain area of a bitmap, clone both of them, intersect, then apply the plugin to the resultant object. Then from there, you can apply transparency and feathering.

Other than that, I agree with everything else.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Asp 'L' checker wood be nice so that ewe can make shore your tie ping is rite and thier are know miss takes.

Eric [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

What I want for Christmas is a feature equivalent to Illustrator 9‘s “pixel preview” so Xara doesn’t have to re-render shadows, bevels, and feathered objects every time you zoom in (a painfully slow process if you haven’t noticed).
    creativesuperhero.ca

XaraX's Inheritance function for Named linked colors is great! BUT: it works in a strictly mathematical way, and our perception of color does NOT work mathematically. More specficially, when an orange color with, say, a Value of 50 is changed to a deep blue color, the Value of 50 does *not* represent the same *perceived* tonal value, since deep blue is intrinsically much darker than orange. Therefore, the tonal value of those parts of an illustration which uses this named color (and its children) is thrown off: it becomes too dark. The same principle applies to all colors which differ in perceptual value, of course.

Therefore, we need an extra checkbox for the color Inheritance: "Maintain Perceptual Color Values".

Am I right - or am I right?

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

And finally they admit all the shortcomings. Well, was that so hard?