Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: website

www.matsonmarketing.com

::Comments::
    I am going for a website that sells graphic design services. Any feedback, comments, suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.
    IP

Hi Phil,

Not an expert...atleast not yet. I'm working on that. But it looks a little plain to me. I see a grid pattern on the left side. What if you made that grid just a little darker and put it on the right side as well? That small change might make it just eye catching enough without getting to crazy.

Quinn
    IP

Hello Matsonp,

WElcome to Talkgraphics. The page layout is rather bland for a design shop. The logo is nice and clean and that is a positive. The black letter on dark red is not a good choice. White would be much better.
    IP

Thanks Quinn and John. I agree that the site does look bland for a design shop. Thank you John for the comment about the logo and for the welcome.
    IP

Hello matsonp,

I agree with John that it looks a bit (actually VERY) bland for a website focusing on design. Here's an obvious tip - Go to Google and search for the services you are offering...

Look at the top results and what they do in terms of design... And if you want to see what the what the 'best-of-the-best' do: buy the Communication Art Magazine "Interactive Annual"

--- One thing is obvious - there are no "teen-angst" colours on ANY of those sites.

In my honest opinion, you have a snowballs chance in the center of the sun to "make it" with anything like that, even for your local picture framing store... Then again, it all depends on what your objetives are... If a couple of bucks in the pocket is worth slaving away for hours - good for you! But sometimes mowing lawns in a mid-income family neibourhood pays much, much, MUCH more...

Yes, yes, I know... I'm not a "pro" and you are free to ignore my post... To me, my silly things are simply a hobby and I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    IP

hey Risto,

Thank you.
    IP

matsonp,

My post was not meant to be a "put-down" - I hope you didn't take it that way... Do keep working at it!

Look around at the BEST - and if you can get 1% of that, you will do well. (AND NO, that is NOT meant to be a put-down either...)

matsonp - I enjoy people - and everyone at TG especially. No matter how much I (we) on occasion lose our heads (and I'm famous for it) we only mean well!

Do look around - and learn! - That's my message!
    IP

Risto,

I was happy you left your comments. Just didn't have time to write anything but thank you.

I am not a pro. But someday I will be there. And you have now been apart of that journey. Thank you Risto.
    IP

Thanks for replying, matsonp (I was about to lose a nights sleep...)

The "journey" is the best part! Trying different things is what makes the journey interesting, and you learn a lot!

Do have fun - and do try different things!

Thanks!
    IP

matsonp,

I would suggest talking your favorite drawing program (hopefully xara) and drawing 50 variations on the same theme. Somewhere between 30 and fifty you will start really liking what you have thrown together. Odds are others will like it too...

Make sure you put all the elements in there, navigation, address, email, logo, etc ad nauseum. It is time consuming but it works. Site I am presently building took 39 drafts before they where wild with a format. Started cheap and bland and kept working until they said "wow!".
    IP