Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Curving a shadow

It is possible to take a floor shadow and curve it around an object? Or does it have to stay straight? Thanks

Default Re: Curving a shadow

Can you explain in more detail Dave?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You can do anything you like with a vector shape, feather tool, transparency slider and clipview

The built-in shadow tool is limited.

Do a copy of all the elements that you want a shadow of then colour them all black and if you want remove all lines surrounding any shapes. Use the Mould Tool, my thoughts would be to use floor perspective, would depend what you mean by curve as that mould is rectangular. Then get into into a rough position putting it behind your drawn elements and then feather the shadow with further nudging to get the position spot on. You might want to post the shadow elements up a give a slight better info on the word "curve around".
    Design is thinking made visual.

Dave - Can you show us an example of the kind of shadow you are thinking of?

As sledger points out, you can do this with solid shape and feather the shape and add Stained Glass transparency. Or you can create a blend, group the blend, then add Stained Glass transparency. Xara treats any group as a solid object, blends, contours, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shadow.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	94499  

I hesitate posting the image I'm working on. It's a Valentine card to point a general direction. The target (so to speak) or main subject consists of two roundish globes upon which the true valentine design is based. The arrow enters one of these globes, slightly, and I want to curve the shadow around the "globe". As you can guess, this is not crucial but I was mainly curious if it could be done. The straight shadow isn't all that bad. Thanks for any assistance offered.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Is this similar to what you are trying to achieve? I did this by creating a vector shape for my shadow and editing it with the shape tool.

Name:	curved shadow.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	94507  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Best not to use the shasow tool here. See attached, I can't guarantee the shadow is correct Dave but it'll give you an idea if you pull it apart.

Name:	bent_shadow.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	94508  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Angelize, you've got the idea. In my case it's an arrow going into a buttock, hence the round shape. The feathered arrow makes the shadow complex. But I think your method is the way to go. Thanks for having a go at it.

Frances, nitpicking I know but your shadow's going in totally the wrong direction. Here's a quick SketchUp rendition

Name:	shadow.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	94510  
    Egg