Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default adding a brush object to an arc

Just a question about adding objects to an arc instead of a whole circle for example using a hearts brush. I draw a circle, convert it to a shape and then bisect it with a line that has also been converted to a shape then I slice and break shapes and now I have a perfect arc but when I go to my brushes and try to add my hearts brush to the arc it like doubles the hearts. Is there anyway to overcome this so that I only have a single row of hearts on the arc. Am I making any sense? By the way I'm using XaraXtreme Pro 5. Thanks.

Manny

Default Re: adding a brush object to an arc

Is your brush made from a bitmap? It sounds like it is. If so, in the Edit Brush > Fill Properties dialog un-check Tile Fills.

Hi Manny,

You getting the double row of hearts because you're converting lines to shapes and as shapes they have a border (line) going right around the outside edge.

Just create a circle. Create an overlapping square. Select both, Arrange / Combine shapes / Subtract shapes.

You end up with an arc but joined across the bottom. Use the shape editor tool to add an additional node on the bottom line, and with it selected Break at point, delete node. Delete the other unrequired node to end up with your arc.

Apply the brush and you'll only have one path for the brush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arc.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	94480  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I think Egg has it nailed as to why you are getting a double row of hearts, However there is another method of getting a perfect arc.

1. create an ellipse that gives you your desired arc (make sure that the default Bounds Creation is selected)
    2. with the ellipse still selected Arrange> convert to editable shapes
    3. with the shape tool (shape editor ) click and drag to select the two side nodes and click the break at points button on the infobar

this will create two lines (arcs) delete the bottom one and apply your brush to the remaining one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

It worked absolutely charmingly. Thanks loads for allowing me to pick your brain.

Manny

Thanks Bram, I actually got a couple of responses and they both worked perfectly. You are guru one.

Manny

Hi Gary, actually I used a brush downloaded from the Xara web site. Anyway the issue has been resolved with no less than two methods by Egg Bramhill and Angelize. You folks are absolutely priceless. Thanks!

Manny