Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Trouble publishing and ftp'ing

Has anyone else had any problems "publishing" their website, or ftp'ing their website? I've been having issues for 2 days now. I am using the trial version to get a feel for it, and wanted to see how user friendly it was, but for some reason, I can't ftp, publish or even get the site over to godaddy using the file manager.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Default Re: Trouble publishing and ftp'ing

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Are you publishing to the right directory or sub-directory? This can often be a problem. GoDaddy will probably have a sub directory such as public_html into which you need to publish your files.

Please give us some more information and we'll see what we can do to get you on line.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

Are you publishing to the right directory or sub-directory? This can often be a problem. GoDaddy will probably have a sub directory such as public_html into which you need to publish your files.

Please give us some more information and we'll see what we can do to get you on line.
    Okay guys, thanks for the replies, but apparently it was an issue with godaddy. The site is now active ( www.noisytoyzaudio.com ), so thanks for all the fast input. By the way, I've used many programs for webpages, and I have to say, Xara is great. The learning curve was easy, and it's more than powerful enough for what I need it for. Love it...!

Glad you got over your hurdle. Remember to give your home page a better title than index.html.

And you won't find many here who disagree with you that Xara is pretty terrific.

Oh crap...you're right...! I was getting so frustrated that I didn't even bother looking at that...! Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah, the page title, description, keywords, are the import back end to your site.

Welcome to TalkGraphic TMac -

What might be happening is the page name when you create the page and name it is the same name that will appear on the navigation bar buttons. But, you can change the names on the buttons without changing the actual page names.

You might use Filezilla FTP program to handle your upload chores.. it is the best around and it's free

Quote Originally Posted by JBinFL View Post
    Has anyone else had any problems "publishing" their website, or ftp'ing their website? I've been having issues for 2 days now. I am using the trial version to get a feel for it, and wanted to see how user friendly it was, but for some reason, I can't ftp, publish or even get the site over to godaddy using the file manager.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
    I bought the Web Designer Premium and trying to get the pages to link up to what saved in program is giving me fits. Keeps changing names of web pages and files, changing links, etc.
    I know hoe to FTP to a server and never had problems like this with old Frontpage and Expression web. Like the look and ease of building pages in Xara but beating my head against wall
    because of the links and publishing .
    Sure could use some help !!

I've never heard of the program keep changing page names?
    But you can name your pages via Web Properties>>Pages>>Page filename

As to files? What do you mean? Only images are named by the application.
    They are numerically named and may change as you make changes to the design (by adding or removing objects).
    However, if you want say a photo to remain a particular name, then you can assign a name via the 'Names' dialogue (right-click your photo and select 'Names...')
    In the entry field type filename="whatever" then press 'Add'. This will force Xara Designer to output the photo as whatever.jpg.

As to publishing, well as Gary mentioned, you may need to provide more details - the FTP process requires the correct and exact details.
    Provided these conditions are met, publishing works fine