Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Shopping Cart Confusion

Hello All.

First time here, so please bear with me if everything I ask has been asked before. I am inquiring about a basic shopping cart for my web site. Having just read (almost all) the reply's on 'CMS, blog and shopping cart integration' (a previous thread), I am still unsure as to what does and doesn't work. Are there only two choices available (Ecwid and XT-CMS)? I've had a look at both web sites, and the XT-CMS seems like it could be the one that will do what I need it to do. However, the rather sparse looking forum pages have given me doubts as to how good (or even popular) it is. I am not designing for clients or anything. I don't need the pages to 'dynamically' change as extra content is added (I will be in charge as to what changes on the site). I am hoping to start a 'club', so will need the option for a log in, club membership details, discounts, special offers etc etc. The whole shopping cart issue has completely slowed my whole site development down, without the cart, the site is pointless. Bearing in mind I have NO KNOWLEDGE AT ALL of coding etc (hence the reason why I think Xara is excellent - it gives everyone the chance to design their own site without having to rely on templates etc). So, PLEASE, anyone with any experience of a good shopping cart, PLEASE tell me your secrets!

Thanks in advance.

Chris (skalamaroosh.com - still waiting for a shopping cart though! )

Default Re: Shopping Cart Confusion

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Perhaps the easiest shopping cart to set up is PayPal. It is free and you only pay a fee (about 3%) when you sell something.

There is a PayPal widget in most Xara products, but you might do better to create the necessary options on PayPal and then use a placeholder object to add the buttons that will link to your PayPal account.

If you are not familiar with placeholder objects, this is a simple rectangle that you use to insert code that in turn inserts the necessary code into your HTML document. You can learn more about Placeholder objects in the Help > Index section.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by skalamaroosh View Post
    of a good shopping cart, PLEASE tell me your secrets!
    Chris (skalamaroosh.com - still waiting for a shopping cart though! )
    Chris, you don't need a shopping cart by the sounds of it so Gary's solution is fine.

Go one better, get the members to place orders and seek registration through a series of email links.
    For your Join Here, you add the link mailto:chris@skalamaroosh.com&subject=skalamoroosh Club Registration&body=Please send me a PayPal invoice for <amount> to join.

You become the Shopping Cart.

As your membership and customers grow then switch to Gary's approach and finally when you can afford the time and money, get a proper cart.

Acorn

Acorn.

Thanks for your response. Not had time to look yet, but do you mean simply add an link to highlighted text? The thing I'm worried about is credibility. As you can see from what I have already done, I'm trying (having to) make the site look more established than I am, in the hope it (the site) will give potential customers the confidence to buy (and join). Obviously I am able to produce (and deliver) the goods, but I'm at a very fragile point in the establishment of my venture (all it takes is a few dodgy comments on Facebook and the whole thing goes down the pan). Fact is, this whole shopping cart thing has got me all inside out with what I am trying to achieve - it's like , I can see exactly what I need, I just can't seem to jump over this giant turtle! I think I might try the PayPal route though. I've had a look and (like Gary said) it's (almost) free. I'm probably relying on familiarity really (customers have seen it before). I may well have to use the email scenario regarding joining the club though, unless I can set something up in the PayPal checkout. I'll let you know. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Chris.

PayPal is very evolved and offers a wide range of options. Go to the site and register, you need a bank account into which PayPal deposits a few cents to verify that you are who you say you are. After that your account is established and you can do as much or as little as you want with what they offer.

And as you point out, almost everyone who used the web is familiar with PayPal and PayPal lets your visitor use her or his PayPal account or his or her major bank credit card.