Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Total newbie--where to begin?

Sorry to be so late in replying. Work seems to always get in the way of the fun stuff. Anyway, discovered why I wasn't seeing the sigs--Forums settings default to NOT show them. Odd, but Ok. fixed that and now all is good.

I've noted all the various links and such and am slowly working my way into Photo & Designer MX 2013. thanks again for all the help!

Bill W

Hi

Re the photos/bitmaps etc

Have a play with this..... Open the Windows File Explorer (Windows logo + E) then drag a pic directly into Xara

As others have said, you can move crop etc but also try this

See that 3D icon? well, select the picture first then use the 3D icon... it will turn your pic into a 3D solid...

Also

Have a look at the Mold/Mould tool (Icon looks like a flag waving)
    This is able to fit bitmaps by moving the four corners about independently .... as opposed to the standard selection method
    You can use this to 'fit' your bitmap to, say, a shape that has perspective.

Also there is a great Xara book (v5 from memory) --- amazon is your friend

I would also dive on youtube as there are some great tutorials

HTH

Yay my first post

Greetings from the UK

Julian

The way I'd describe xara to a starter is forget raster editing, if you want that, use an external program. Everything in xara is not unlike scissors and construction paper. If you see things this way, you'll totally get it. Learn the boolean commands and you'll be in a very awesome place for understanding how to make whatever you want very quickly, but it takes practice. Memorize the hotkeys.
    Ron Cavagnaro

Quote Originally Posted by rpc9943 View Post
    Everything in xara is not unlike scissors and construction paper. If you see things this way, you'll totally get it.
    Excellent analogy!