Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointment!

Default Disappointment!

I have been running along happily with my pro6 an web designer pro7(not what you call an early adopter). Thinking that I might upgrade (pending this years inevitable upgrades) I downloaded the trial version of pro 8. I expectantly opened the programme to be met with a heart sinking message that pro 8 required cpu support for SSE2. Apparently I don't have it. I have a 2.15ghz AMD Athalon xp chip and 2gb ram which runs my other application fine.

Is there any way round this that anyone knows or am I destined for a new motherboard at least to continue running Xara stuff as I have done since it was Corel Xara.

Ken

Default Re: Disappointment!

Time for a well deserved new PC I'd say

Cheers Steve just what I wanted to hear. Makes upgrading rather expensive though

Suppose it may be worth awaiting this years inevitable upgrade.

Ken

Hi mentorman,

You can actually thank me that you even got a message that tells you this. I couldn't run the magic eraser on my new version (at the time 7) but there was no message, just some nebulous error. Xara support said that they would look into it. They did and created this message you see now. The machine I was using at the time? AMD +1800 which was a 1.5 Ghz machine.....Just a little history on the message you got...and yes, you will need to upgrade to run some of the new features in ProX....
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

As I recall, the entire Xara application used to be about 10MB. Am I hallucinating or is that correct?

But then I used to have a 24K dial up connection too.

Everything is bigger, faster, and more complex these days. I send 2GB files to Japan via YouSendIt.com. I downloaded the entire Adobe CS5.5 a year or so back.

But Ken, as the technology bar has gone up and up, the price of a decent computer has come way down. You don't need to spend a bundle to get a decent machine with enough speed and memory to play with your favorite software. I picked this link at random http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...FexxQgodaAsAfA

Thanks Karateed, hope you hadn't purchased. Rather remiss of Xara to not point out the higher motherboard requirements.

Gary accepted that it is now the software needs that are driving the requirements for new hardware rather than the other way around as it used to be.I do have a lap top that will run it but unfortunately I am not a great fan of small screens for such work. Yes one day I will have to be dragged screaming from my trusty desktop running XP which copes with all my requirements quite happily to invest in something I actually don't want. Suppose that's life.

As said very remiss of Xara not to detail the new chip requirements. I will just continue as I am until the new version comes out in the spring then decide whether an investment in a new desktop is worth it.

Ken

Actually they do.

http://www.xara.com/us/downloads/designer/
    and
    http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2301

Your AthlonXP (2001) is pre Sempron (2004)

Ken

If you use your computer a lot, then if you amortize the cost of a new machine, it's pennies a day.

And if you are not going to give yourself the royal treatment, who is? Live it up. Life is short.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    As I recall, the entire Xara application used to be about 10MB. Am I hallucinating or is that correct?
    If you're hallucinating, then I'm hallucinating, too. That's my recollection. It was one of the things I particularly appreciated about it.

Allison

Hi Mentorman,

Thanks Karateed, hope you hadn't purchased. Rather remiss of Xara to not point out the higher motherboard requirements.

Actually Xara was able to take care of my needs very fairly. That's one of the things that I appreciate about this company.

Gary is right about the requirements ( I also saw them) and at the time I just decided to download and try it anyway as you have nothing to lose with the trial version....as I said, Xara was very fair.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11