Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Designer 13 launches oddly

At times, not all the time, when I launch Xara Designer 13 it only opens half-way (see attached).
    Is there a setting I can tweak to get it to open fully every time?
    It's not the end of the world, but very annoying.
    I usually close it and start again, sometimes having to re-start 3 or 4 times before it opens as it should.
    Any assistance would be much appreciated :-)

Grenou

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraAnnoyingBehaviour.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	94397

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Xara Designer 13 launches oddly

I'm not sure why it's opening this way but have you tried clicking the expand window box in the upper right to expand the window to full screen?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I had same problem on XP a couple of years back, the solution then was to make sure window was not maximised, then to drag the bottom right corner to the correct position and then maximise. Close program and re-open. This made it stick to where it should be. I had a look on line for you as i have never used windows 7 and found this which may be the solution for you?

To turn off Aero snap:
    1. Click Start.
    2. Type snap into the search box.
    3. When Turn off Automatic Window Arrangement comes up, click it.
    4. Check the [ ] next to Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen.
    I'm not confident that this will solve your problem, but keeping fingers crossed.
    Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do, exactly? In re-reading your original post, I am wondering if you're not using the term "Maximized" as expected.
    Normally, when a window is on screen, and doesn't cover the entire screen, that's considered a normal windowed view, sometimes called "Restored". Maximized", by contrast, is when the window covers the entire screen.
    Are you saying a window Restores off screen? If so, it may be that the coordinates of the window have been stored improperly (I've seen this happen before). There's a way to "get hold" of those windows, and move them back on-screen. To do so, try this:
    1. Restore the window you want to see (e.g., by clicking on it on the Taskbar).
    2. Press these keys: Hold down Alt and press the space bar once.
    3. Now press the M key (for "Move").
    4. Now move your mouse. You should see a 4-way arrow cursor.
    5. Now press any of the arrow keys on your keyboard, and you will find you have hold of the window and can move it anywhere you like.
    6. Close the window and it should remember where you left it for next time.

hope it helps
    Last edited by TXAlba; 03 February 2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: oops
    "Your never too old to Rock and Roll" ......
    ~Ronald Belford Scott 1946-1980

Grenou, just a guess but perhaps you open Xara in different ways: a desktop Shortcut, the source file, Taskbar or Start menu. Each can have different opening sizes.

For example, in Windows, if you select a Shortcut's Properties, there is a Run option where you can select Normal window or Maximized. I would do this and use such a Shortcut exclusively thereafter.

Try playing with the cursor keys while holding the Windows key down - fun if you have dual screens.

The only other thing is have you changed screen resolutions between sessions?

Acorn

Thanks Angelize (yes I do click Maximize). :-)
    Thanks tx200Man, I will try your method. Windows7 sometimes behaves oddly when opening programs, XP was less fussy!
    Thanks Acorn, I will try that.

I have 2 monitors :-)
    No, not changed the screen resolution for 2 years.

The other odd thing that happens: when Xara starts normally, I get the splash screen first and all is well.
    When it decides to shrink, I don't see the splash screen and the program doesn't show itself. I only know it's there by the icon on the Taskbar, I minimize any other programs I have open and click on the Xara icon again, then is shows itself in a much reduced state.

:-)
    Grenou

I only have up to Designer version 8 so can't test

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Steve...

Grenou: Ok Please let us know how you get on after trying the suggestions from Acorn and tx200man. I run Designer Pro on windows 7 with no problem and I can't replicate the issue, but I don't have P&GD2013 to test with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Grenou

this used to happen to me every now and then - hasn't for a while, which may be because I have recently rebuilt the system - but anyhow, if none of the suggestions given work it could be a screen render problem, not enough memory for the program to open fully on the screen at startup, and that would be down to your system setup and whatever may be running at the same time ... and possibly the way xara is rendered too

I'm trying to remember if the splash screen was there or not when this happened to me, but I can't...

I didn't worry about it at the time I must confess...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hehe, I am more puzzled/annoyed than worried :-)
    I will test it for the next few days and hope that the dragging might work.
    I am sure it's a Windows thing and not Xara, I am sure Xara is blameless
    It sometimes (very rarely) happens to Paint Shop Pro X5, which is the program that's always open when I start Xara.
    I doubt there is a connection though.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

One of these days I will re-install Windows 7 (when I feel brave), maybe after that all my annoyances will be solved!
    :-)
    Grenou

Yeh, it sounds like it could be a quirk with Aero Snapping to me.

Open P&GD then hold the keyboard Start Key and press the left arrow (try them all to see what happens)