Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text at an angle

Xara 3D Maker V7:
    I am (very) new to Xara 3D Maker v7. I want to create a line of text (two letters to be exact) for a logo where the first letter is at about a 30 degree angle towards the left and the second is 90 degrees turned to the first. Facing the logo, the first letter is turned to the left and the second letter is turned to the right, forming a 90 degree angle with respect to each other. The base (bottom ) of each letter is on the same plane.
    In other words, it is asif you wrote two letters on neighboring sides of a cardboard box, the first letter on the bottom right corner of of the one side of the box and the second letter on the left bottom corner of the neighboring side..can Xara do this ???
    Thanks in advance to anyone with advice !
    Carine

Default Re: Text at an angle

Assuming you have a vector drawing application like Xara Designer, where you initially create your vector shapes to paste into Xara 3D Maker, you can do this easily enough without firing up Xara 3D Maker at all, and just use Designer's Extrusion Tool.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corner 3D.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	94353  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Thanks Bob. I do not own Xara designer, but have Sketchup (3D freeware)...but Sketchup does not have greatest selection of nice logo-ish fonts...I also own Illustrator (via CS5) but not too experienced with it. Could I import a vectored image into Xara 3D and then extrude to different dimensions...is that possible as I do not own Xara Desginer...?
    Thanks Bob. I do not own Xara designer, but have Sketchup...but Sketchup does not have greatest selection of nice logo-type fonts...I also own Illustrator (via CS5) but not too experienced with it. Could I import a vectored image into Xara 3D and then extrude to different dimensions...is that possible as I do not own Xara Desginer...?[/

Carinefram, I kind of thought when I read your post and looked at your profile that, that's wanted to be able to do that using Xara3D. I tried to do it that way but couldn't. So I think Bob was on the right track. You could download the trial of Xara Photo and Graphics Designer and do it that way fairly easily or even though we do not do freebies one of us may do it for you. Let us know your font preference and extrusion amount and maybe I or someone will help you out and do it for you provided we have the font already. I remember when Xara 3D was all I had and wondered how to do different things with it but since I have now gone the Xtreme route I use it almost exclusively. Maybe one of our Xara-3D guru's know but I sure do not.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Carinefram, I kind of thought when I read your post and looked at your profile that, that's wanted to be able to do that using Xara3D. I tried to do it that way but couldn't. So I think Bob was on the right track. You could download the trial of Xara Photo and Graphics Designer and do it that way fairly easily or even though we do not do freebies one of us may do it for you. Let us know your font preference and extrusion amount and maybe I or someone will help you out and do it for you provided we have the font already. I remember when Xara 3D was all I had and wondered how to do different things with it but since I have now gone the Xtreme route I use it almost exclusively. Maybe one of our Xara-3D guru's know but I sure do not.
    Thanks wizard509...that's a good idea to check oout the possibilities via a trial download. I tried a convoluted way of bringing the first angled letter into Photoshop, and then bringing the second angled letter into the same document, but the shadowing then becomes fake as you have a single shadow for the flattened image and not the nice rounded effect from light shining through the curves of each letter...so abandoned that bad idea quickly. I forgot I could evaluate the more pricier Xara Designer for a month...thanks for that tip !