Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Mini tutorial: Letterpress effect

I have put together this mini tutorial for doing a letterpress effect, and what's really nice is that the text stays as editable text and this effect is editable! You can change the text and/or the font without losing the effect as long as you don't overflow the text box.

I have attached a png large enough for viewing on screen (just click the thumbnail then click the pop up) and a .xar file with the instructions and examples you can pull apart.

You should be able to do this in Designer Pro or Photo & Graphic Designer from version 6 and up.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Letterpress effect.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	94340  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Mini tutorial: Letterpress effect

Very nice - always good to have an effect that can be changed without having to rebuild it.

A similar effect can be produced in all earlier versions of Xara Xtreme/Xtreme Pro right back to Xara X using the wall shadow tool.
    Text also remains editable and retains the effect.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thank you Ampa

@ Steve: yes the effect with the shadow tool alone is similar but not quite the same.

If anyone wants to experiment with this effect you are most welcome post your results in this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Frances -- I don't think it looks like letterpress text. If you look at an old book made before offset printing, you'll notice that the letters are slightly indented into the page, where the slugs of lead type had pressed into the paper. Your effect looks more like the thermographic printing on some business cards... where the ink, heated, raises up a bit off the surface.