Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Photo Clip Art Poor Quality

Hope someone can help.

I extracted a deer antler from a picture and exported it as .png. When I imported it into a file it had lost a lot of its resolution and was blurry.

So, trying again, I increased my original antler size and exported it again as a larger png file. There was some improvement but it did not look near as clear and sharp as the original.

Is there anyway I can save my photo clip art to use at a later date without loosing photo resolution? (Note: I did have an antler without any background).

Thank you.

Default Re: Photo Clip Art Poor Quality

Can we see examples please? Otherwise we'll all just guess at what's happening.

And, are you importing the saved clipart back into Xara Designer Pro X or another application?

What was the resolution and size of the origional photo?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

The original photo was taken on an iphone at 1936 pixels x 2592 pixels 72 dpi.

Of course, the antler was only a part of the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buck Nov 2012 pse1.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	94195

I did import the antler back into Xara, and it looked OK, but when I imported it into PowerPoint it looked poor. When I imported the deer picture into PowerPoint the corresponding antler looked great.

Name:  antler1best.png
Views: 440
Size:  8.3 KB

Thank You,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003pse1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	94193  
    Last edited by BeanPole; 23 January 2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: removed wrong picture, Not sure how to remove the thumbnail

One more question. Were you using the antler larger than the original? or, the same size or smaller?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

When you bring the original photo into xara make sure it is at 100% (not zoom but the image setting). Sometimes xara reduces an imported photos display size on the page if the photo is over a certain size and if you edit and export it when it's at less than 100% you'll lose some resolution on the exported file.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

All is good! Thank you all for your help.

I also followed the thread on PNG export quality. As it turns out, I was exporting the PNG at the default size. I have now learned that I can go into options when exporting and choose to export at 300 dpi. (more info on other thread)

So, I imported the deer to Xara, cut out the antler, then I resize the antler to be a full page size, then saved it at 300 dpi. Then imported into PowerPoint and the antler was as good as in original photo.