Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Screen resolution problems

I have some concerns about different screen resolutions. The website lay-out changes when viewed in different screen resolutions and I do not want this, i.e, horizontal scroll bar. I tried to view the website in 1024x768 resolution and it does not look good (scaled and squashed images), however, if you view it in 1366x768 or larger, it looks okay.

I really appreciate your suggestions and opinions why does this happen and how can i solve this.

Default Re: Screen resolution problems

From the other thread that you asked the SAME question in (please don't ask the same question in multiple threads):

If the browser window is smaller than the content that it contains, you will get scrollbars. It is as simple as that.

If you use responsive design and media queries, you can tailor your website to different screen sizes. You do not have control of the browser window size or the resolution of the device that the user uses to view your website.

I am a bit confused by this comment: I tried to view the website in 1024x768 resolution and it does not look good (scaled and squashed images)

You should get a scrollbar. What is the URL in question?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    From the other thread that you asked the SAME question in (please don't ask the same question in multiple threads):
    I didn't ask the question in the other thread, I only revived it and had I realized which subforum it was in I wouldn't have even done that, as my problem relates to xara.

This is the link http://fampson.kustomhosting.net I am building this using 3 24" screens set to 1920 x 1080 I have been having to resize my screens to try and view and fix the differences but can't seem to get it done. Even at 1024 x 768 the screen fills up. Is there a way to emulate other screen sizes like 17", 19", 20", and so on??

This comes up often and is a wonder it's not more easily found in a 'search'.
    Xara cannot produce dynamically re sizing websites. Only static fixed size WYSIWYG designs (fluid designs would not be wysiwyg)

You just can't build one site to satisfy all browser viewports without either producing scroll bars on smaller viewports or empty space on large ones.
    What you have there seems perfectly fine to me. Nothing squashes when a reduce my browser window (viewport) size.
    One thing to consider also is that people with large monitors generally do not have the browers at full screen.

if you are setting a 1920 x 1080 monitor to 1024 x 768 and this is not a supported setting there is no wonder that it looks squashed as you have changed the aspect ratio - some moitors will handle this ok [by reducing either x or y of the visible screen and padding black], but if the monitor you are using can't, it will look bad...

ps - or it may be handled by losing part of the 'desktop' off screen - windows 7 for example should warn you of this when you change setting

I have to say the site has text that is way too small and it appears shrunken. It's not usable on my system.

I'd also add that much of the text has been changed into images, so I guess it's because of grouping.

aye the white text is way too small - whichever monitor I look at it on - if it's image that would explain the 'patchiness' of it...

Yes the text areas are mostly in image format but I will changing that if I can get the other images to fit properly.

But is there not a way to emulate smaller screens? or is there some css code that can auto change the aspect ratio based on the viewers screen?

Your design doesn't work well, on large screens, let alone small ones.

Using Xara software the size of your design is FIXED. Some Xara web developers produce alternative versions at smaller sizes for mobile phones, etc and use code to transfer people to the appropriate version of the site.

Other web development systems are responsive to differing window sizes, but the WYSIWYG nature of Xara is not.

I'd suggest that you choose an appropriate fixed size for a desktop ( 1024x768 is a good standard for a minimum desktop size, with designers designing to a width of 950 ) and get that in a usable state, before worrying about smaller sizes. You have a reasonable design, but the text content is too small to be usable.

On systems that use CSS to adapt to variable sized screens, you are either adapting a template, or need to be skilled in the use of CSS and HTML.

OK, I see what you saying.

On a different item. Is there a way to use an image as the page background? Each image I place in the page background is not showing up.