Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF import: choosing convert text to curves doesn't work

Hi!

Can anyone reproduce this(?): When importing a pdf you can choose if you want to keep the text or if you want it to be converted to curves.

If I choose to convert to curves Xara Photo and Graphic designer (I have the magix version) I get text and no curves.
    Now if I have a pdf with embedded fonts that are not installed on my system they will be replaced with unwanted ones.
    I attached a PDF with music fonts for you to test.

Bach - BWV 1055 - larghetto Gitarre duo (Capo2) 1.pdf

Default Re: PDF import: choosing convert text to curves doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by musikai View Post
    Hi!

Now if I have a pdf with embedded fonts that are not installed on my system they will be replaced with unwanted ones.
    I attached a PDF with music fonts for you to test.

Bach - BWV 1055 - larghetto Gitarre duo (Capo2) 1.pdf
    Welcome to TG musikai I am using XDPX and cannot reproduce the problem here. In fact I don't have the option to convert to curves, not that I see or am familiar with.

Replacing the fonts is normal but you should get a warning stating those fonts are not installed and will be substituted. If need be go to file/document info and you will see what fonts were used, so either install the fonts or replace the ones you don't have installed with others you want to use.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I think you are confusing the export option of converting text to curves.

I know of no import option such as this.

Thanks,

it's no urgent problem (as i have the fonts and Acrobat can do it.) Only the text in the options that pop up when importing a pdf is misleading: I get 2 options that pop up:
    1. optimized for work (clip-views are simplified fonts get substituted)
    2. optimized for layout (clip-views are preserved/ fonts will be converted to shapes).
    When choosing option2 the fonts still remain fonts. The funny thing is that in the manual the part about conversion to shapes isn't mentioned. So I think it's only a misleading text in the choice box.
    Don't you get that choice when importing a pdf? Perhaps that's only a Magix Photo&Graphic Designer feature?

I opened your PDF in my PDF reader then printed to CutePDF.
    I then opened this new PDF in P&GD7 as editable, and got this partial success.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you install any free PDF printer, print your original PDF file and save it again as a new PDF file from the PDF printer, this will convert all the text lines to shapes, and you will have a clean shapes in your PDF and you can open it in XD or any.
    Regards
    BP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bach.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	94069  
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Ah thanks for the replies! Good to know different way to get pdfs imported without having the fonts. Also the now free available Acrobat CS2 can be used with its "reduce-preview" feature.
    Luckily I have the fonts for my own pdfs installed and I'm so happy with Xara's great quality of its pdf importer!!!!!