Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I create an outline path in XaraDesignerPro

I have used Xara designer for years as its generally easier to use, but still can't work out hot to easily create the Outline Path and the pathfnder merge shapes function as in Illustrator. The idea is to have a block of text with an outline round the outside of the whole text, but separated from the text characters.
    In illustrator the sequence is:
    Write text and select then create outlines
    Then Object, Path, Outline Path.
    Then using the pathfinder utility, merge the outlines into one.
    In Xara Designer, I can change text to shapes, but not generate an outline other than a line that hugs each character. Can anyone please tell me.
    Thanks

Default Re: How do I create an outline path in XaraDesignerPro

Hi lenw,

It sounds like the Contour Tool will do what you want.

You don't need to convert the text to shapes. Select your text, go to the Contour tool, drag one of the corner arrows outwards as far as you want (notice that the contour edges automatically merge together where they touch). Then go to the infobar and change the number of steps to 1 (if you want). You can select the contour by clicking on it and then change the colour and line width just as you would for any other object.

The Contour tool will work on live text and the contours will automatically adapt when you edit the text.

Phil

Default Re: How do I create an outline path in XaraDesignerPro

Phil

Thanks, it works well. In addition I have included a shape with the text by adding shape then applied the contour. Then applies an outline to the contour. In the end much easier than illustrator to create the same effect. See result attached.
    LenW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contourtext.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	94044