Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Confused regarding Xara Products: Xara Photo & Graphic Designer MX 2013 vs .....

It did occur to me when web designer first came out, that if one had a client who wanted to update themselves, you could introduce them to the basic web designer program, but create the site in Photo and Graphic Designer or Designer Pro.

That way, as Gary said they can do any basic changes to text and add or change photos, but would have to come back to you for any fancy graphics changes.

Default Re: Confused regarding Xara Products: Xara Photo & Graphic Designer MX 2013 vs .....

they can do any basic changes to text and add or change photos, but would have to come back to you for any fancy graphics changes.

You'll find they'll come back to you for a lot more than that!

Imagine:

"I did XXX and now it doesn't look right"
    "I must have deleted something, but I don't know what"
    "I was improving the buttons but now they don't work"
    "My text won't fit in the space but I can't figure out how to make it bigger without going over something else"
    "I tried publishing, but did something wrong - I can't see my changes on the website"
    "I published my changes, they were fine in the program but they look all wrong on the website, but now I can't get the old website back"
    "I had lovely text, but when I look on someone else's computer at the website it's changed and looks horrible"
    "I deleted my Xara file how can I get it back from the website files?"
    "I changed something and now it's all gone wrong, if you've got five minutes please could you fix it - it must be fixed before five o'clock?"

Enjoy..

Yes Paul, we've all been there. Web Design would be great if it wasn't for the clients
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It's a bit different when you say "Here's the files - go do it yourself". I think most people don't have any idea what hassle they can be exposing themselves to.

Clients can be delightful or mega-frustrating, but few of them are going to master Xara from day one without car-crashes.

Well the desire to maintain it themselves and the ability to do so are not the same thing of course. But giving them the option, even if it only serves to let them find out that they can't do it is no bad thing.

As long as everyone understands the position, it's good, but many clients will expect you to teach/help/rescue them FOC unless you tell them otherwise. It sounds straightforward getting a client the software so they can do it themselves, but it's a minefield.
    Last edited by pauland; 12 January 2013 at 06:06 PM.