Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Protecting Images

... I have tried searching for a thread that might address this but no luck.

I want to protect images (including those that pop-up) on a website I am designing, from being "right clicked" and copied or saved as... Is this something that can be done in WD8Premium or will it require HTML or PHP scripts...

I suppose I could use low-res images and make it less desirable to right click to download, but that will defeat the effect/purpose of the website, which is geared toward selling images. Watermarking is an option but takes a lot of time on an image intense site.

Thanks,

SD
    "Old enough to know better... too young to resist"

Default Re: Protecting Images

Have a look at Encrypt Web Pro

The way it works is you publish your site to a folder first then use Encrypt Web Pro to protect the content. After you have encrypted your site, then you have to use an FTP program to move the encrypted files to the server. And unfortunately, you have to do this every time you make changes to the site.

You can also disable screen capture (Print Screen) but I don't suggest this because it brings us a scary warning in Internet Explorer (and perhaps other browsers as well).

Hey Gary,

Yeah, I see there are compromises no matter what direction I go. In all reality, anyone that wants to steal something will find a way.

I did a simple protect script in the Head section and it works in IE but doesn't in FireFox... so, I think in the interest of efficiency and keeping the cost/time element in check, low resolution images are probably the route I will go. Too bad, as the site is geared toward people liking what they see and ordering....

Thanks for the input.

Dave
    "Old enough to know better... too young to resist"

Is this any good from Zaphrodeist from an earlier thread not 100% if Active x disabled

i use the bottom one

prevent rt click copy of images.xar

Scruffy
    Last edited by scruffy.thedog; 10 January 2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: more info
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

I think the right mouse click thing is pretty pointless. Anyone who might use your images for commercial gain/as their own/whatever in such a way as to cause you financial loss, is also most likely savvy enough to know where those images are and how easy it is to get them (either from the browser cache, or via the direct link in the HTML, or a screengrab, or .. ).

There are solutions out there that use PHP to watermark images "on the fly" so that the end user can't get at the non-watermarked version. I think that's a far better solution.

Alternatively, it should be possible to batch-edit (outside Xara) a group of source photographs to add a watermark before you add them to the site.

what you could do to stop the right click method is to put a tranparent rectangle on top of the image - but like others have said a screen grab and other methods could be used - ive put a transparent rectangle over the photo of the hotel front on the right of the homepage of my signature website - try it - i could be wrong :-)

No problem copying the image directly..

oh ! i lust get a black square if i copy/paste

Ah, you're right - I didn't even open the image up!

It's a clever trick - essentially copying a transparency that sits over the proper image.

It won't save you though, a screen grab and crop is pretty simple.

yes very true - if someone wants an image bad enough they willl find a way to get it