Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

that people who post the most inflamatory messages never have an e-mail address in their profiles? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

http://www.gwpriester.com/flag.gif

somehow like this.. (lousy example follows)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eh.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	19133  

Is GOOD BASIC STUFF. It should help a lot of us "learning" or "less knowledgeable" want-to-be artists.

I would like to see MORE EXAMPLS of "lighting" tricks. Ie; for different object shapes and different colored lights in different type of environments. And like Steve and Gary have tried to point out; what is real in nature may not be visually as effective in an artistic rendering ... that's where different techniques (tricks) come into play.

Info of this type can go LONG WAY in a forum of this nature.

Thanks, Robert for asking, and thanks Roman, Steve, and Gary for the lesson and examples.

A good discussion of lighting theory here. From my days as an instructor of television production -- the closer the light is to the subject, the greater the intensity of the light measured at the subject.

There are a lot of variables at play. If the light is aimed at the top of the cylinder and is coming from a 45-degree angle, you should get a brighter reflection from the top of the cylinder than from the bottom. Whether you could see this, however, depends on the brightness (intensity) of the light source, the size of the cylinder and the distance between the light and the cylinder.

Although not expressed in my examples, your comment is 100% correct Bob and could be very usefull to everyone in here, especially Petey over there! Thanks for the tip!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Boy, what a response we got on this thread. Sorry to see so many people get up in arms. Anyway, I thought you might like to see the type images we're creating in my office and why we were debating lighting. We are not concerned with the amount of light - we assume a daylight setting. We are more interested in the 3D look than whether it is clinically correct. I just need to illustrate to students so that they can tell whether a part is a cylinder or a flat piece of metal. The image below is part of a larger piece that goes into flash and becomes animated.

Name:	nose.gif 
Views:	338 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	14913  
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

If it's sunlight, then it would be your first example, even if it's not it looks good that way, so I think you're set! I'm assuming you're talking about the cylinder attached to the center of the wheel? Thanks for the Question!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Robert, here are some croppings of some illustrations I did for a browser-based operations manual.

These were done with CorelXara (before the advent of the timesaving eyedropper and shadow tools). OBVIOUSLY, my lighting techiniques violate the laws of nature. But I found that, due to the restrictions of size and the "zoom level/camera distance", realistic lighting could not accentuate certain components when viewed via a browser.

I guess you could say what I have done here is not really a "lighting" technique but rather a "contrasting" technique.

Regards

Name:	Example1.png 
Views:	309 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	12887  

Example 2

Name:	Example2.png 
Views:	292 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	1116  

Example 3

Name:	Example3.png 
Views:	289 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	13785