Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

I am having a conversation with a co-worker about the properties of light on cylinders. Can someone please help clear this up? I have posted an image that I whipped up in Xara X to illustrate the two views. I know that the tops of the cylinders are not shaded correctly...I'm more interested in the sides.

The question is. If light is hitting a cylinder at a 45 degree angle, will the cylinder be evenly shaded top to bottom like the cylinder on the left or will it have a diagonal shade like the cylinder on the right??

Thanks,
    Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

1 + 2 = 3

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Light_on_cylinder.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	10343  
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I am having a conversation with a co-worker about the properties of light on cylinders. Can someone please help clear this up? I have posted an image that I whipped up in Xara X to illustrate the two views. I know that the tops of the cylinders are not shaded correctly...I'm more interested in the sides.

The question is. If light is hitting a cylinder at a 45 degree angle, will the cylinder be evenly shaded top to bottom like the cylinder on the left or will it have a diagonal shade like the cylinder on the right??

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Example 3

Name:	Example3.png 
Views:	289 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	13785  

I just wondered how you could ever consider anything different...

Mr. P, nice to see you back again, hope you had a Merry Christmas or chanuka or Kwanza, whatever you celebrate. BTW, Steve is fine for the salutations.

Just one little thing before I start my explenation, you quoted me saying...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter P.:
    Quote: "Originally posted by Steve Newport:
    It depends "
    QUOTE]

I only said "Depends", how bout you start reading!

Anyway, my explenation is quite correct. In both of my illustrations the light is coming from a 45 degree angle, Just in one case, the 45 degree angle light is not completely covering the cylinder. I made a picture for you just in case you're mind can't comprehend these words (See below)
    Here, try it yourself. Hold a flashlight at a
    45 degree angle over a cylinder (A cup or a mug, be creative) in a dark room so that the the edge of the light is at the center (Highth-wise) of the cylinder. You will see that the fall-off is, in fact, elliptical!

I hope you understand now!

Think before you speak Petie, you might not be held as such a moron then!

Roman, I'm not really seeing what you're saying!? Maybe I'm just stupid, I dunno!

And Gary, I have quite the same outlook as you. In art, what looks right is better than what is correct. Thanks

Steve Newport

Name:	cylinders1.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	11967  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Although not expressed in my examples, your comment is 100% correct Bob and could be very usefull to everyone in here, especially Petey over there! Thanks for the tip!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

If it's sunlight, then it would be your first example, even if it's not it looks good that way, so I think you're set! I'm assuming you're talking about the cylinder attached to the center of the wheel? Thanks for the Question!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Boy, what a response we got on this thread. Sorry to see so many people get up in arms. Anyway, I thought you might like to see the type images we're creating in my office and why we were debating lighting. We are not concerned with the amount of light - we assume a daylight setting. We are more interested in the 3D look than whether it is clinically correct. I just need to illustrate to students so that they can tell whether a part is a cylinder or a flat piece of metal. The image below is part of a larger piece that goes into flash and becomes animated.

Name:	nose.gif 
Views:	338 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	14913  
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Newport:
    It depends <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wfcentral's question was, I quote:
    "If light is hitting a cylinder at a 45 degree angle"

Maybe you should try to read next time.