Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Muppet question for a webby

Hi

Muppet questions from a web person who never has to send to printers - till now!

1. A web client has asked me to create a A5 flyer for them mirroring their site index page, i have selected a A5 template page imported all graphics (very high res) left a 3mm margin. I want to export as 300 dpi but when i do this the size changes to a size much larger than A5 - how do you make it stay as 300 dpi and A5?

2 Same client wants the flyer to be exported as A3 how do I do that?

Cheers scruffy
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Default Re: Muppet question for a webby

on the export dialog - as well as setting the output dpi to '300', change the area to save to 'page'

you will have to remake your page at A3 to export it at that page size - so anything not vector will need to be of a high enough resolution to still be at least 300dpi at that size

Brill thanks H all pics are > 300 dpi ( 1500 i think) and for the web page they have been reduced to 96

Scruffy
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

that should be fine for the A3 template [which is twice the surface area of the A5]

4 times the area surely
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

yes, you are right Egg, I must have been thinking of aspect ie double up [on the x and the y]

thanks

The only other comments I would make is that going from RGB to CMYK through the PDF export filter is going a lot of the colours a slightly washed out look. The best thing to do after looking at your file in Acro reader is to import it back into Xara and adjust the colours again, through the CMYK colour profile, then export it again. If the printer is using A3 format I would make a template using layers. Bring up the Rulers Shift+Ctrl+R and drag a vertical line out but not on the paper. With the Guide layer selected, select the rectangle tool M and then make a rectangle 14.85cm x 21.0cm on a landscape A3 page. Now we run into problem if the page has full bleed as we can only fit two A5 sheets on the page as 4 fits it exactly and you would never print borderless even if the printer could do it as it causes problems for the drum or rollers on the printer. If the large format printer can take A3+ or SAR3 then we can position 4 A5 guide rectangle on the page by dragging and using Ctrl+right hand mouse click to place a duplicate on the page. You use the same method again after selecting both rectangles to dulpicate the 3 & 4 rectangle by dragging down the page & clicking.
    Make a new layer and if you want call it crop marks then on your first lefthand rectangle draw corner crop marks, around 4 to 8 mm long + group them. Do the same to all corners of this top left hand guide rectangle. It is always easier to lock the guides when doing this. Now group all of the drawn cropmarks and Use Ctrl+drag+right hand click using the mouse to duplicate and cover the top right hand guide rectangle. Group both sets of rectangle crop marks and use the same method to cover both bottom guide rectangles.

That is now your bleed guides drawn so that you can have full colour. Draw your design over the guides making each side overhang the guide rectangle by at least 3 mm. Have a look at the supplied template and if you have any questions please come back.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.